Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BradW

Just a thought, please coment

BradW
Hi all, I have alot of extra tires and rims around and I was thinking of dual wheels for snow plowing and since I don't really have the money for the O.E.M. spacers I was thinking of using some allthread,spacers between the wheels and locknuts on the ends, my only question is will the allthread be strong enough or what might be the dis-advantiges or the advantiges? I would like to hear input from others, thank you, -BradW

Al
Hi, What you need to do is to roll a band to go between the rims. If you don't have a roller, just take a piece of 3/16 x1 1/2 steel and use a 5 or 6 in channel iron and lay the iron across it and take a large hammer and hit it between the flanges on the channel. Don't hit it too hard, bend it a little and move it about a 1/2 inch hit it again and move until it is round. Keep working it until it just fits inside the roll on the bead on your rims cut it and weld the ends and put it together. Good luck, Al

Al
Brad, what Al suggested is what you need. You need something solid between the wheels with the "all-thread" or 4 bolts holding it together. Just the 4 bolts will have too much flex, it will just create problems and you will have "duals" in looks only, not in function. Good Luck, Mike.

powermax_paul
Brad, What we use to mount up duals is a piece of 2inch solid steel. Cut a 12.75inch diameter circle and drill the holes for the the allthread on a 8.5inch diameter circle centered in the disc. This setup not only centers the wheels it also adds alot of weight. Scooby

Steve_Johnson
I have found a neat way to have duels. If you can find a pair of wheel weights from the front of a Farmall A or C. These fit just inside the very outer rim of the wheel. Then using long bolts you sandwich both wheels with the weight between them. It holds them very secure and adds some weight in the process. The holes line up in the wheels and the weights so you don't have to drill any new holes. Merry Christmas to all, Steve

Sandy_Lake_Imp
I would not think duals would be very desirable for snow plowing. The purpose of duals is to float on top to minimize compaction by reducing the pounds per sq inch on the ground-just the opposite of what you need for traction in the snow & ice. It would certainly look great but would be wouldn't push much in my opinion. Bill