Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Thanks for the help on snowthrower

Les

I'd like to thank everyone here who posted responses regarding the performance of snowthrowers. Mine is working like a charm. I do have some notes to help others in the future: Lubrication is essential!! Spray every moving part with oil. I was having a lot of difficulty with the heavy snow that fell here in Michigan this past two weeks until I sprayed silicon lubricant onto the augur, in the shoot, where the shoot pivots and in the lifting arm mechanism. After that, many of the problems I had went away including some of the maneuverability issues. Before this, the only lubrication issue I paid attention to was the grease fittings. Support on the tractor. I noticed that one of the pins that supports the blower on the frame of the tractor, (there are four) was missing. This actually causes the blower and it's substantial weight to droop and lever against the pavement which was causing what I thought was a traction problem. Once I replaced the pin and the blower was fully supported, much of the problem went away. Support shoes: The rest of my traction problem was eliminated, for the most part, by the replacement of the blower shoes. My original shoes were smaller than the replacements and had been ground down very well. Now, the blower glides along the ground and I can steer it in just about any direction I want. Again, thanks all!