Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Hard starting

My ten horse B/S (Simplicity 3410)seems to have to roll over many many times befor it fires. The spark plug is new, I'm thinking about changing the points. I rebuilt the engine and carb about two years ago at witch time I pollished the fly wheel. The spark apears to be good. I'm not sure if it is spark or fuel, although if I pull the air filter and look in the carb after it has been running it looks like their is gas laying in the bottom of the carb. any ideas?? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JeffNemes
If the spark jumps a 1/4" gap to ground than it is usually sufficent. It runs OK once it does get started - correct? As little as this sentence is it is very important and can be used as a first step in diagnoising any engine problem - after all how much time does it take to verify? If you are in direct light it can be hard to see but you can cover over the "test" with your hand or a rag or anything handy - just don't get zapped! If the spark is OK then when the engine is cold turn it over a few times with the choke out. Pull the spark plug out and see if it has just a glisten of gas. If you can shake a drop or more into your hand then it may be flooding. Try starting it without the choke on. If it is dry you may have a carb or valve problem. If the spark plug has been run long enough to change from that "brand new" look what color does it exibit? Tan and brown are good while a glossy or sooty black is not. Spark plugs tend to "react" to engine condition and can help determine what is going on if read properly.

Al
Hi, My experience with these Briggs engines is that quite a lot of them like to have the carb against the idle stop to start. It seems like my old 3112 would crank all day until I pushed the carb down to idle and then it would go. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Happy Holidays, Al

Al
Hi, My experience with these Briggs engines is that quite a lot of them like to have the carb against the idle stop to start. It seems like my old 3112 would crank all day until I pushed the carb down to idle and then it would go. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Happy Holidays, Al