Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mowerman1193

Ground speed on Broadmoor

mowerman1193
Anyone know the ground speed on the early Broadmoors?Would like to know the speed differences between the 2 speed verses the 3 speed trans.Also would like to know about the Hi-Lo units. I have a Broadmoor 717 and it seems slow in 2nd gear(2spd.trans)and I picked up a 728 with a 3 speed trans for parts and wondered if the 3spd. was faster. Thanks, Kevin

Mowerman, Sorry I can't help with the ground speed spec's. I have a 717 2 speed and find low too slow and hi too fast for most cutting. I just "blew" the tranny while using my snow blade. I'm wandering if you know where I could find a used tranny for parts and what other trannys would fit the 717? I would like to modify the tranny input pulley or add a hi/lo second pulley. Also my three blade deck could use a higher blade speed. I'm wandering if you have similar problems or modification interest. Wiecked[A href='rwieck@litchfieldil.com']rwieck@litchfieldil.com[/a]

JeffNemes
I think you will like the 3 speed better. While cutting my smaller yard with my 728 3spd I often use 3rd and have to slow the engine down to around half speed - but it still cuts well due to the exceptional 3-bladed mower performance. I use 2nd with higher engine speed when the grass is extra long and/or thick. I believe the hi-low kit basically just gives you lower gearing for implement usage. The earlier 6HP-717 Broadmoor used a two belt trans drive with a center counter pulley setup. 727-738 Broadmoors used a single belt system that went from the engine directly to the trans. I'm not sure how interchanging them would work out with the belt position and frame mounting. Anyone else....?