Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B - Series Mower Decks

JCS

Hi, Having the large washer against the bearing keeps the grass from getting behind it and cutting the seal lip on the bearing. It does not have enough pressure against the outer race to cause any problem. Good luck, Al

Once again I must ask! Everyone says the diagram of how the arbors are put together is wrong! I just got a copy from Snady Lake Implement that looks the same as the owners manuel. On the top it shows two small washers against the bearing and then the big one to keep the dirt out. What is the difference between a washer and a flinger? On the bottom is shows the big washer againest the bearing???? I though this ould "lock" the inner and outer parts of the bearing together and this is bad... Should I always have the samll washers against the bearing and then the bigger one???

Al, I have to say this time you are wrong. The large washer against the bearing will lock the inter and outer race together. When you tighten the nut to lock the inter bearing races, the spacer pipe, and the arbor together there is enough pressure on the large washer to lock the bearing. The arbor should spin free with the arbor nut tighten down. I know this to be true on my 42" B series decks. I have pointed out in previous posts that the manual is wrong on this. My Simplicity dealer agrees.

O.K. then how does it go???? Put (1) small washer closest to the bearing and then the big washer??? Also what is the difference between a flinger and a washer? The zerox sheet I got from Sandy Lake Implement was different part numbers for flingers vs. washers

Hi, I may be wrong, but have putting these together by the book since 1967. The bottom washer is very thin and flexible. The bearing inner and outer races are flat. When you put the washer against the bearing on the bottom it touches the outer race. Since it is very thin and the bearing is flat across, there is very little if any drag. Since the bottom of the arbor is exposed to long grass and any grass that winds up around the arbor and gets against the seal of the bearing will cut the seal out, this virtually seals the bearing seal from the outside world. If you put the 2 spacer washers against the bearing, you have an opening and encourage the grass to wind up above the washer in the space around the spacers and cut the bearing seal out. If any grass winds around the spacers when they are under the washer, it just pushes the washer up slightly and seals off the seal better. I have seen these run this way for years and have rarely seen one of these washers with more than approx .005 wear, barely discernable. On the top the flinger is thicker than the bottom washer not flexible and since it is not exposed to the long grass and the winding possibilities the spacers go under and it on top and it just kind of flings off the dust and short grass. I may be wrong, but I've been doing it by the book for years and have had no trouble. My thoughts and they are free, value accordingly. Al

Al what you stated makes sence to me. Also on the bottom of the spindle there is an area that looks like a washer built into it and that also pushes up againest the 2 smaller washers and then againest the large one which also helps prevent bearing bind. I really don't think that the diagram is wrong I just feel that over the years people have been replacing the "flinger" with a plain large washer and that's whats putting the pressure on the assembly. Plus if the proper parts "washers-flingers-and spacers are replaced when worn the assembly or lock nut will bottom out before locking up the bearing and this is why there is a torque spec. for the lock nut also. Again if I am wrong about any of this it is my opinion and it is subject to change without notice. Best to all, >>->happyjack<-<<

happyjackl@yahoo.com-Jack Lindstrom According to my manual for a model #407 which is the deck for either an older 725 or a Landlord the 2 smaller washers are shown to be againest the bearing and the the "flinger" which is the large washer is on top of them on all the top bearings. And the manual in my opinion shows the bottom installation correctly and the 2 small washers should be againest the larger washer with the large washer up againest the bearing. Why the larger washer is referred to as a "flinger" I can not anwser that unless its to keep them meaning the small and larger washers from being confused while talking about it in the diagram but I think it has to do with the dia. or thickness of it the "flinger". Got me on that one. But if I am wrong about any of this it is only my opinion and is subject to change at anytime without notice. Good Luck, >>->happyjack<-<<