Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Duals, -thought #2-please coment

BradW

In reply to the previous post on the idea. For tilling would there be any advantage with using duals to reduce compaction so you have more positive results? I was also thinking this for when I re-seed the yard this spring so the ground is less compacted so the seed grows in better? I have also heard positives for hillside operation,less of a chance of falling over. My personal thoughts on improvements for my new idea to work is stated here: I will take a flange which fits the bolt pattern on the rim, I would need two flanges per each wheel then screw the two flanges in with a steel pipe, then weld the flange(s) to the steel pipe, put the longer bolts through and voil`a you have duals, I would like input as to if this idea may work better thank you for your time, help, and idea(s), -BradW

Just a question on this subject. What is the length of the adapter bolts that are in place of the lugs on the inside tire and rim?

That's the way the dual wheel adapters are made. A steel pipe with a flang on each end. 3" OD pipe 6.5" long with 5.5" flang on each end. Flangs are 3/16" thickness. I can email you a drawing if you like.

When I put in my back yard I used the 3212 to pack in the seeds.With the turf tires it worked well and stopped the seeds from washing away during a rain.Lots of trips back and forth but it did work well.

Actually I just thought I can use small bolts, lockwashers,and locknuts, I will slip the bolt through the outer tire rim hole(s) through the flange and put on a lockwasher and the locknut do the same for the rest of the bolts on the outer wheels on both sides and then the inside, but I would put the insides on first. Please coment on the idea, thank you, -BradW

I made my dual adapters from axles and wheel hubs from two junk transmissions I had laying around. I took the axle and cut it off but left it long enough to use for duals on both 6" and 8" wheels.I then bolt the hub that is keyed to the axle up to and through the inner wheel to the tractor using longer lug bolts . Then you slide on the the other hub( the one with the two lugs that tighten the friction blocks) and tighten down in the proper position on the shaft. Then attach the outer wheel. To keep the outer wheel from slipping I tied it all together with some wheel weights and long carriage bolts that go through both wheels. On the differential side of the tractor you have to have or make up some double lugs( like that came with the original duals) to space your setup away from the hub with the two lugs on it. Kind of difficult to explain without pictures. This setup has worked great for me.

In reply to your first question,duals would be a big disadvantage for tilling.Your outside dual will be running on the freshly tilled ground on each return trip.With a tread width slightly less than tiller width,you should not have any compaction problem. Jim

If you have the money and not the resources to make them just go to your nearest wheelhorse dealer and buy them. Yes they still use them on some of their tractor at about $85 a pair or there abouts. >>->happyjack<-<<