Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A few questions, please help.

BradW

Hi all, I did some trading for a Simplicity 700 from club member "Sam" and I put a battery in it this morning and I choked it and started it and it ran great, but afterwards finishing up it's "test run" I shut it off for lunch and then about two hours later I went out and choked the motor and started it and it stalled, it did this 8 times so I waited 5 minutes and then tried again it still stalled, after it would start I would flip the choke lever back up on the carb to the unchoke position, then I had my father try and he started it and left it partialy choked and it stayed running so I looked in the manual and it says choke the engine when cold and leave it choked until warm, my question is it okay to do that? Since it was only 10 degrees F* today and when it is cold like this will I have to choke it untill warm? This is my first time running an old Simplicity when it is this cold out, I have 2 Simplicitys and 2 Allis-chalmers but have never run them when cold, any tips on cold weather operation would be helpful and I also bought a block warmer for the motor to help in the cold, can you tell me where to mount it on the motor, would the head of the motor be an okay location? The heater works at a 400 degree temp. I just thought this would help give the motor a "kick start" on the cold days. Thanks for the help,-BradW

Our experience has been that it is often necessary to leave the choke on partially in cold weather operation. The colder it is (I would say you qualify at 10 deg. F) the more choking may be required until warm-up. We've never used block warmers (we're in Michigan). As long as the battery will crank her over, we just give the engine a few minutes to warm up. Tom

A block heater goes just where it says. Somewhere on the engine block. The only thing the heater does is heat the oil in the motor to make it not so thick and turn over faster.