Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Blower for Landlord

I have a 92 or 93 16 HP Landlord GTH16. I am looking into getting a snowblower unit for it. Many questions. Is a single or 2 stage blower the best? Will various blowers fit (Simp lists a 42" single stage as an option) Is the hitch specific to this tractor and year only? What are the approximate costs for these items (hitch and blower)? Any help is appreciated. Ray in Wisc (50 inches of snow this December)

FiremanRon
Hi Ray, I have used both single and 2 stage blowers when I lived in upper Michigan near Iron Mountain and where I live now about 45 miles northwest of Detroit to which we normally don't get nearly the snow like we did as a kid in the u.p. or upper Mi. The point that I am trying to make is unless you continuly receive large amounts of snow of about 12" at a time all the time on a weekly basis or even every 2 weeks I would suggest the single stage over the double. If you are always getting hit with the 12" amount of snow week after week then the 2 stage would be the way to go. The reason that I am saying this is the price of the single is about half the price of the 2 stage in most cases. Also the two types of blowers go about there jobs differently. Actually the single stage is call a blower and the 2 stage is called a thrower as that's what they both do differently. The single stage relies on a single auger that pulls the snow into the blower housing and basically blows the snow out the shute by way of the auger turning at a high rate of speed or rpm's to do its job. The 2 stage uses a auger similer to the single stage but it turns at a very slow speed to which pulls the snow into the housing to feed an inpeller that turns at a very high speed that throws the snow out the shute. The 2 stage units can handle deeper-wet and harder packed snow then the single stage in most cases. Also the 2 stage is alot safer because the auger has shear pins incase you hit something such as a peice of wood or something hard such as a curb to which the pin or pins shear stopping the auger from turning at least on one side or if not both. If you hit something with a single stage with the auger turning at such a high rpm it can do alot of damage plus they will throw things out the front not unlike a lawn-mower discharge shute so they are more dangerous but with either strick saftly practices are in order. In my area with the amount of snow that we get and as great as the Simplicity blowers work I couldn't justify the cost for a 2 stage thrower. Plus in most cases the 2 stage is slower to use then the single stage plus the single will in most cases clear the snow further away then the 2 stage. I can't be sure on this part but it seems like the 2 stage required more horse power to operate because of the gearbox and mostly because it works diferently and has more moving parts to power plus normally you can get them in wider widths as I recall. I just couldn't justify the price diference as well as the single stage works unless you get the type of snow that I used to get in upper Michigan it wasn't uncomon to receive 20-25 feet of snow in a season. I hope that I have helped alittle and this is just my opinion and its suject to change at anytime without notice. Also anyone please feel free to correct my as I have been known to mix things up more then I care to count. And hopefully others will add their opinions to help you out. Happy New Year, >>->happyjack<-<<