Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Important Hybrid Hitch Update

Al Eden posted a response to another message regarding powering a snowblower on the 900/7100 series tractors as opposed to those on the 700/7000 series. I think Al's message is worth repeating so, as Al said, "I believe that all of the 900/7100 should have the front pulley on the center PTO mounted in a slot in the tractor frame. This pulley is moved forward or backward to tension the belt. There is a red and green decal behind the rear pulley arm. The front pulley is moved to position the arm in the center of the green triangle when the tensioner is tightened. The 700/3400/7000 [short frame] tractor have both idler pulleys on a common pivot shaft and that is why it is a problem to drive a HEAVY load like a snowthrower from the center PTO on these tractors. On the 7100/900s the fixed problem solves this as the tension is on the slack side of the belt and the load pulls against a fixed pulley. My 2 cents worth and its free value accordingly. Happy New Year. Al" I have received several emails after I posted my "Hybrid Hitch" message. Owners wanted to know if they could convert from the front PTO to the long belt center PTO system without building a Hybrid Hitch. I have told owners that they could convert from the front PTO 700/7000 system by either welding an ear to their existing 700/7000 center PTO idler pivot, or by replacing their 700/7000 center PTO idler pivot with a 2 ear center PTO idler pivot used on the 900/7100 series. After reflecting on Al's input, here is my revised opinion: (1) If you replace your 700/7000 center PTO idler pivot with a 2 ear center PTO idler pivot used on the 900/7100 series, you will have to fabricate the slotted bracket Al refers to since the 900/7100 center PTO idler pivot does not have a provision for the "V" idler. I do not believe this bracket is available separately from Simplicity since it is part of the left side frame plate. (2) If you weld a second ear to your 700/7000 center PTO idler pivot, you may have difficulty keeping proper tension on the long belt since both idler pulleys will pivot. You may have to fabricate a stationary slotted bracket as used on the 900/7100 series. The Hybrid Hitch "seems" to be working fine with the unmodified factory 700/7000 series center PTO idler pivot. I suspect this is due to the fact that I am using a standard short factory belt on the same angle as is used to power the mower deck. Secondly, the Hybrid Hitch arbor is fixed. The HEAVY load of the snowblower is placed on the fixed arbor. And of course the snowblower has it's own idler to take up the slack in the second short belt from the arbor. Thanks for the information Al, as usually you demonstrate your expertise. I hope this keeps everyone and everything "in the groove."

Yeoman627
After reading Al's response to the original discussion on this topic, I spent a couple hours yesterday working on a bolt-on bracket to add the fixed, v-type lower idler to my 3416H. So far I have used 2 short pieces of angle iron. One bolts to existing holes in the 3416H's frame, the other, needs to be welded to the first at the same angle as the existing V-type idler, which also appears to be at the same angle on my 916H. I am intending to weld these today at work. I think I'm also going to drill several holes in the lower angle iron to make several positions for the idler, in lieu of the slot. I'm also going to replace the spring loaded, movable idler rod and bracket on the 3416H with one off a junked 7116H that has both "ears". Should pick it up today at lunch time from a local junk dealer. The final problem will be determining the belt length, and finding one. I'll keep ya'll posted. Brent Brent

Yeoman627
Brent: Since the "fixed" bracket you are fabricating will be welded to the frame, I think I would take the time now and make a slot rather than several holes. I say this because you may not be able to get a belt that is exactly the length you will need, and you might have to make slight adjustments as the belt wears. I also think I would make the bracket and slot as long as possible for the same reasons. Just another of my "thoughts." Please keep us posted.