Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Axle tube, HELP

Al
Christopher, I would not use a used one, also replace all of the keys when you replace the tube. These tubes take a lot of abuse when they are new. As they get older the keys start to work loose in the keyways. Two things happen then: 1 This minute play puts a shock load in the keyways, like the jerk due to the slack in the couplers in a train when they start up. 2 The keys start to change shape, [they will eventually look like an hourglass]this tends to reshape the keyways. When this happens the pressure is no longer distributed along the face of the key, but in a narrow line along it. As the play increases key actually starts to roll a little and you get a wedging action. This moves the pressure to the top edge of the keyway. This slack and shock coupled to the fact that that stress cracks always start at a sharp corner and go from there explains when you look at the axle and you will see that it is broken in the groove where the retainer rings seat. You will also note that the break starts with a hairline crack that goes radially to this groove from the corner of the keyway and there will be a break that runs from 30 to 45 degrees from the groove toward the keyway. They almost always break in this sequence. Replacing the keys before they get so much slack would go a long way to adding to the axle life. My 2 cents worth and its free value accordingly. Al

christopher
I broke the axle tube on my 2210 today. This is the second one, I obtained a used one from a 2110 2 years ago. It appears that it had been broken and brazed before. Is there something I could be doing to break the axle tubes? Would it be better to replace it new or used? Jacks has it listed, anyone with replacements or reccomendations please respond.

Yeoman627
First off I am truley sorry to hear another tube bit the dust so to speak as I can relate and I know others can also. I would never go to thru all the trouble of changing an axle tube and then put a used one in. The reason being there is no way to see whether or not the used one has already been damaged from either just normall wear and tear or just plain hard work. I think the last tube that I bought I paid around $85 for it but at least I had some peace of mind when the job was done in knowing that it had not been abused or just plain used. As you know its alot of work to change one and the next I will let a pro-like one of our Simplicity dealership mechanics do the job for me and besides the warrenty has to be worth something but then again I am getting lazier as time goes on. Best of Luck what ever you decide, >>->happyjack<-<<

Karl_Brandt
Al is very correct about the keyways and keys and everything else he stated. I just recently replaced all the keys because after inspection I noticed just exactly what Al discribed as the hour glass affect. I cleaned out the keyways the best that I could and replaced all the keys and I also found that the hub on that side was worn more so then the axle-tube itself. After doing the things that I mentioned everything was as tight as new and after about 20 hours of hard plowing I reinspected these parts and they are still in good shape. I feel its a matter of preventive matenice and should be checked every so often for any type of play. Thankfull I did catch mine in time this time. >>->happyjack<-<< P.S. Great job of explaining this Al as always. Just maybe I should have taken the time to explain it the way you did but I didn't so thanks for doing so.

Karl_Brandt
Recent quote for a tube axle is $112. MS Word of caution. I broke one this summer on my pulling tractor and the tube opened up like toilet paper roll and broke the right hand transaxle housing. So if things are getting loose, fix it before it causes major damage.