Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bouncing ammeter

jrmorrill

I've owned my Landlord 2010 for seven years. Through all this time my ammeter has bounced from -10 to +10 rapidly as the engine is running. Well, I've finally decided I should investigate this further. Is my voltage regulator broken somehow? Perhaps the ammeter is not connected properly? I just replaced the battery after seven years. That seems like a good run to me. Thoughts? Tips? Jason

I have a B110 that does the same thing.I checked it with the engine running charging 14.5 volts. It is kind of anoying though. If I know it is charging it dont bother me as bad,Matt

'd try a known good replacement meter that is made for the vibrations on these machines. The vibrations can cause this type of visual problem without there actually being a problem.

Better yet, toss out ameter and replace with voltmeter. It tells you more then which way the amps are going. And the cost will be the same. A tad bit of rewiring needs to be done.

Mine has done that for as long as I can remember but not as severe. Probably wrong but I thought it was just vibration. Generator guy told me that unless it stays pegged one way or the other is not a reason to worry --Don't know if I believe him as to me it sounds like it would be a short or draw. Never really watched it and still wonder why they bothered to use them --esp when there were no real elec options besides lights.

Bouncing Amp Meter.......Although annoying, it's a GOOD thing to see the amp meter bounce. Let me try to explain as best I can. The voltage regulator is like a switch. When the Starter Generator is taxed, either by the starting of the machine or by way of using accessories like an electric lift or lights you are using the battery for the function. The regulator is designed to open the flow of current from the generator side of the S/G to re-charge the battery as needed. When the battery is fully charged the voltage regulator opens and closes rapidly which is shown through the amp meter. Vibration only has a little to do with this bouncing around. When the amp meter is to the negative side you are drawing current from the battery. If this happens under load to the battery and the amp meter does NOT bounce to the positive side, then you either have a faulty regulator or a faulty pole on the charging side of the S/G. It's not common for these Amp Meters to go bad. They operate on magnetic resistance via a small copper wound resistor. Again....although it's annoying, you WANT to see the amp meter jumping around. If the amp meter stops moving in either direction there can be numerous causes. If it only shows discharge, it could be a bad poll on the generator or a faulty regulator or something as simple as a loose or broken wire. If it only slightly moves to the positive side and seems to stay there during operation then you possibly have a weak charge to the battery. It's a great diagnostic tool if payed attention to. Hope this helps.

My 7013S charges just fine and the amp meter does not bounce. :) I did put a new voltage regulator on it right after I got the tractor. Also had to fix some wiring and put the amp meter back in the circuit.

The meter on my 712H would vibrate constantly. It turned out to be some loose and dirty connections on the regulator.