Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Transmission problem: Help (Solved)

GWGAllisfan

I have run into a major problem in restoring my tractor. Last night I put the wheels on it and started to roll it forward, when I noticed it wouldn't roll. I thought that was strange so I jacked it back up and found these symptoms: 1. If one tire is rotated with both off the ground, the other rotates in the opposite direction. I understand this would be normal with a differential, right? 2. When I rotate the drive pulley at the top without the transmission in gear, it rotates fine 3. When the transmission is shifted to any gear, and I try to rotate the input shaft, it won't turn. 4. At no time is the brake drum turning, neither when the input shaft is turned, nor when the wheels are turned. This doesn't seem to be right. 5. When the brake drum was going back on, the shaft it was on slid back into the transmission, and a shaft slid slightly out the other side. The shaft that came out is just under the edge of the input pulley. What could this mean, in reference to this problem? 6. The transmission was working fine when I disassembled the tractor, and I remember the brake drum turning when i rotated the hubs while painting. What should I do now? I do have a 3-speed from a 410 I could possible bolt in, if it fits. Does anyone know if that is an option? To disassemble the transmission is somewhat intimidating since i don't have a good stable work bench area to attempt the procedure, and that's getting way beyond bolt-on.

Randy, I think I heard somewhere the shifting forks on these transmissions can get out of sync-trying to go into 2 gears at once.. Not sure the complete fix procedure but I have seen it here.... Will save the coil for you-leaving Sunday. At this point not sure if I will be back on weekends. Told the wife you might be by and set the box out.... Brent

I feel like an idiotB) I went out this morning, decided to pull the transmission, started by removing the brake drum. Noticed the bolt holding it on was dragging the drum. Removed it and, guess what!! I feel like a complete Total idiot I wish I could delete the whole post. I guess once again The lesson is check all the little things first....

Now that I'm VP:D, I can do that for you Randy, just say the word! I'm glad you fixed the problem. I have done a few stupid mistakes my self. Too many to remember let alone list!:O:D

You gotta like the stupid ones. Because they're so easy to fix. Unless you've spent 3 hours trying more difficult solutions first.:O8)&:)OO Hate when that happens!

Gee I'm glad I've never done anything stupid}:):o) I guess that's why they call these thing Simple Tractors,the answers are usually simple.(That is after you spend half a day making it hard.sm06sm06 Glad you got it figured out. Where are the pictures???
[img]/club2/attach/Willy/Watching.jpg[/img]

Have done the same type of thing. The ten minutes you feel stupid is nothing to the ten hours of teardown and re-build --so congratulations on fixing the problem so efficiently:D:D:D