Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Ideas resulting from recent snowfall

Al
Jim, If your belt is fairly good and its slipping, I would look at the front pulley. I would suspect it is more like a "U" than a "V". Many of these tractors have this problem. Instead of the belt wedging and pulling the inside of the belt is pulling on bottom of the pulley and it is like using a 3/8" wide flat belt. I had a terible time finding the first one, but I have seen a number of them bad. Common enough that we normally stock that pulley. Other things to check: the pivot on the tightener pully, the spring tension and do you have at least 1/2" free play on the clutch rod? The belt provides an emergency clutch and also disconnects the hydro pump when starting, so when everything is cold and stiff, the starter don't get smoked trying to turn all the "stuff". Also when the engine fires it is easier to get it running with out all that load. Regarding the chain, many negatives: noisy, short lived at the "FPS" [feet per second] it would be running, much more vibration, no safety clutch. If you have a good V-belt setup and good pulleys, you can stall the pump in the hydro, or kill the engine with a gear. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly, Al

Cal
Al isright agood belt setup is all you need. Another though is do you have an original equip. belt the negineers at simp. are better than we are at figuring this stuff out.ELec. lifts are slow but in creasing the arms lenghth will smash some thing very expensive inside, probably the reciculating ball assy. that makes it go in and out. If you must have speed to raise the lift put the hand lift back on &pull real fast. I have removed el. lifts for the same reason. Cal

I just recently adjusted the travel on the el lift on my Landlord. It now picks up the blade about 8-10" above the ground! I just set the blade on the ground and loosened the keppers for the spring on the lift rod. With the blade on the ground, I set the travel for the lift about 2" from the full down position and tightened the spring keepers. One benefit the el lift has over a hydraulic lift is it provides down force. I don't see any situation where a hand lift has benefit over either an electric or hydraulic lift. Hours of plowing this season have worked it well. Simplicity could have provided a joy stick of sorts instead of a toggle switch to make operation a little easier. Ray in Wisc.

christopher
Here in Connecticut, we finally got our fair share last weekend, and spending a few hours pushing snow with my Simplicity 3416H has made me think of a few ideas and I would appreciate the fine thoughts of this well informed crowd. I recently installed an electric lift, works great, but is a little slow when plowing, has anyone experimented with adding a longer lift lever on the tractor, thereby giving greater travel as the lift rotates ? Given the snow was really coming down on Saturday at a heavy rate, my belt o the hydro began slipping. What about changing the pully on the hydro and on the pto shaft ( hydro side only ) to a chain. The chain would not slip at all. What purpose does the belt serve? Appreciate all opinions. thanks, Jim

richp
the hydro lift on my landlord can actually lift the front of the tractor off the ground by pushing the blade into the ground. I have a solid piece of square stock linking the blade to the tractor.Besides being tough to access the parts, i think this setup is excellent.

Karl_Brandt
My 3416H has hydraulic lift and hydraulic's to angle the 46"snow blade.[A href='htttp://www.geocities.com/yosemite/falls/5395/index.html'][img src='http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/falls/5395/Image031a.JPG'][/a]

Karl_Brandt
You may be able to lift a front blade with a longer lift lever using the electic lift, but the electric lift has all it can do to lift a snowblower and I know most electric lifts were probably burnt out trying to lift the rototiller. Karl, where are you getting your hydraulic power from on the 3416H?? MS

BradW
I was thinking of adding hydraulics to my 700, I would take a belt powered pump and put in in the sleeve hitch in the back by means of a homemade bracket and run the pump with pulley and belt's from the tranny shaft then fit the hoses and a cylinder in for it with float positions and so on, this way tilling and blowing are easier, just a thought,-BradW

ka9bxg
BradW, I'm not familiar with a 700 but, on my 7012 I don't have a "live" belt all the time. So, I repositioned the exhaust and "cleared" the front of the engine. I discovered that by simply turning the existing factory pipes, the muffler can be mounted vertically outside the hood. It really surprised me how easy it was to do, and I never thought much of the exhaust blowing through the hood and discoloring the paint anyway (I may want to paint mine some day). After the front of the engine is "clear," a pump can be belt driven off the crankshaft. I first used a power steering type pump with a remote reservoir but, I wasn't happy with the flow. Places like Northern Tool offer a wide range of hydraulic stuff if you don't have access to used (remember many hydraulic motors will also work as pumps). You can even buy mounting brackets so you can connect directly off the crank with a Lovejoy coupling instead of a belt (but you'll probably have to modify the hood, and/or build a guard, and it will probably interfere with front mounted factory attachments). Some things to consider: 1. Do you want an "open" or "closed" system? 2. Select a pump with the correct rotation, or one that will work in either direction. 3. Select a pump with sufficient flow (consider a 2 stage pump) for future attachments (loader, log splitter, hydro motors). 4. Will you need a reservoir or a cooler? 5. Where will you mount a reservoir, cooler, filter? 6. How many controls? Front (blade), Rear (tiller), Auxiliary (center, tilt, rotator) 7. If you connect a cylinder to the lift shaft (like factory - at least on the 7012) you can have hydro power front and rear with one cylinder. 8. Using multiple cylinders will permit separate power to the front and rear at the same time. 9. Which of the controls must be 2 way? 10. Which of the controls should float?