Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Group 51 Fit A B-1?

Roy

Before I start measuring and doing a site search does anyone know off the top of their head if a group 51 battery will fit in a B-1, 700, or 725?? Thanks,

I have a B-110 & the last battery i put in it that fit like factory was one that fit in a HONDA S2000 (little sports car) just got it off the shelf at store. Will try to look later..(oops its a group 51 so guess it won't work)

OK, I did the research. Results as follows: Group 51 battery: L = 9 3/8, W = 5 1/16, H = 8 13/16 Group U1 battery: L = 7 3/4, W = 5 1/16 to 5 3/16, H = 7 5/16. Group U1 width varies slightly depending upon the manufacturer. A Group 51 is too long for a B-1, 700, or 725. May also be too tall. The hoods are a close fit over the top of a Group U1. Now I know. Thanks,

Paul, Your picture raises an interesting question. Are the battery terminals supposed to face the front or rear of the tractor? All mine face the front. Also, I highly recommend some sort of non conductive shield/gasket between the gas tank and the battery. Vibration and battery acid tend to wear and corrode the tank in the long term. P.S. My B-1 Parts Catalog shows an insulator and tank gasket between the battery and gas tank but I have never seen these OEM pieces on a tractor. It also shows the battery terminals facing the engine.

To help prevent corrosion to metal parts I use pieces of vinyl flooring. I put piece under the battery and on the FDT tractors, a piece between the battery and the gas tank, and a piece between the battery and the outside shield/cover. I works great! On the RBT tractors only a piece under the battery is needed when using a 22NF battery (plenty of clearance all around).

"B-1 Parts Catalog shows an insulator and tank gasket between the battery and gas tank" Anyone ever seen the above OEM parts?????