Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My Neighbors' Tractor

JimDk

Two of my neighbors owned and used B-110s until they passed away about three years ago. Neighbor Bill used his to roto-till and other garden chores. I bought it, in rough condition, from his widow soon after he died. Neighbor "Doc" bought his new in 1967 and used it to mow until he died. I was able to get Doc's tractor last November. Unfortunately, it had sat outside for three years. The engine and gas tank were missing, but it seemed to be repairable. To honor both my good friends and neighbors, I am going to do a restoration using the best parts of both tractors. MDB's posts have inspired me to try to post some pictures of my progress. Jim

[

Your certainly off to a great start. I'm sure your late friends would be pleased to see what your doing in thier honor.

If that's one days work Jim, I feel mighty slow. Glad too see to disrubting that nest, wonder what they like about nesting inside an engine like that. Do you plan on ending up with two tractors when your done?

Thanks for the comments. Dave. I plan to use the B-110 for shows. I would like to put a small sign on the grill with both my neighbor's names as original owners. Our local tractor club is featuring A/C this year. I will have it done for that show. Marty. No, that is many more than one day's work. I got serious about the job after deer season ended. Other than a quick power wash, I started on it Feb. 1st. I try to put in a couple of hours every day. I work until I start dropping tools and losing things, or my 67yo back starts complaining. I think that we should have a "Big Mouse Nest" contest. That was the largest one that I've seen. No, I will only restore one tractor. There are not enough good parts for two. Jim

How about get real fancy have the seatback reupolstered with their names stiched in the back your work is a nice gesture

What you have done looks Great.It is always nice to do someting to Honor someone ,& what you have done with those tractors will last a lifetime of enjoyment to you & others around you.Keep the pictures coming.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'm nearly to the point where I need to spend money. Paint, decals, seat, engine parts, etc. I will try to keep the pictures up-dated. Jim

• 3 months later...
Although it's been a while since I posted anything, I have been working on the B-110. Planting the garden, mowing grass, camping and riding my bike have cut into my tractor project time. I finished painting the yellow parts today. I had paint mixed at an auto parts store from a camera/computer formula. I was not real happy with the match, but it is close. I plan to have it finished for the Pioneer Show in July. Here are a couple of pictures of of the yellow. Jim

Looks good. When done you will definitly have to show it to the families. I too went to an auto store and had them try to match the yellow and did not like any of the three formulas they mixed up and ended up not buying any. Don't know why it is so hard to match.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. It's getting easier. It's nice to work with clean, freshly painted parts rather that rusty, greasy ones. Thomas, The paint situation is frustrating. I had the PPG formula for bamboo yellow mixed first and did not like it. The computer mix that I used is really a GM color. I was told, after the paint was mixed, that the computer can only mix the formula for the closest automobile color in it's data base. It's a bit of a crap shoot. My paint looks a little off in natural light, but not bad in artificial light. I am running out of time before our Allis show, so I used it. Jim

Jim, That makes sense now. I came up with a mix I really like and can mix myself. TSC's JohnDeere Yellow & A/C Orange at a ratio of about 20:1. I haven't added any hardner to the mix so I don't know if that will change it any.

Jim, It looks like you are doing a quality frame up restoration on your B-110dOd. That is a lot of work and very satisfying when you are all done. Glad to see other people taking the time to preserve pieces of history:D Keep us posted.

Looks good Jim.....can't wait to see it in person at BOTH the shows :D :D Brenda