Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Orange

Ultimate garden trailer (fenders started)

Orange
Well, I bought an old jetski trailer for $25 a few years ago. I had always planned on turning it into a yard trailer for my garden tractors. It was make out of very thin-walled 2" tubing. The more I looked at it the less thrilled I was because of the demensions, about 38" between the wheels and the fact that my only welder at the time was a Lincoln tombstone arc welder. I am not a good welder yet, but I knew I'd burn through that stuff so fast it would make my head spin.
[img]/club2/attach/Orange/trailer small.JPG[/img]
Since beginning the project I've aquired a nice Millermatic 175 gas wire feed (which is a dream machine for a "welder" like me). My brother in law, a welder by trade helped me get this far, with a heavy duty 2" tubing for the undercarriage and 1 1/2" tubing for the trailer box. My plan was to make this a dumping trailer modeled after the Simplicity yard carts. It dumps all the way onto its back so you can completely clean it out. I also wanted to use receiver hitch stock for the tounge so I could change it out for use behind a car (longer, straight tounge) and then one for a garden tractor (low hanging tounge)to line up with the tractor drawbars and since then a very long tounge for use in hauling 16 to 20 foot lumber or steel or whatever. I will be posting more pictues tomorrow when I get my camera back. The demensions of the inside of the bed are 36" x 60". I would've made it bigger, but I didn't want it to be too heavy to lift when dumping. I may regret not making it bigger, but we'll see.
[img]/club2/attach/Orange/trailer small new.JPG[/img]
view from rear of trailer frame showing 1" dia bolts used for pivot for tilt bed
[img]/club2/attach/Orange/t1.JPG[/img]
rear view of trailer with tilt bed attached
[img]/club2/attach/Orange/t2.JPG[/img]
side view of tilt bed
[img]/club2/attach/Orange/t3.JPG[/img]
box tilted
[img]/club2/attach/Orange/t4.JPG[/img]
box vertical
[img]/club2/attach/Orange/t5.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Orange/t6.JPG[/img]
I plan to add some 4.00x12 wheels, should roll a little easier
[img]/club2/attach/Orange/t10.JPG[/img]
trailer hooked to my B110
[img]/club2/attach/Orange/t12.JPG[/img]
I'll add more pics as the project progresses. Well, I picked up some fenders from the farm and fleet store. I had some diamond plate that I cut out as a backing, it's 3/16" thick and stiffens up the fenders nicely
[img]/club2/attach/Orange/t15.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Orange/t16.JPG[/img]

Kent
I like how you've copied the "double-dumping" capability of the Simplicity carts. That really makes a big difference cleaning the cart out...

Orange
Hey Guys, thanks for the encouragment. I usually don't post my projects, but wanted to put some pressure on myself to get it done and I thought showing you and updating as I go would help. I give 100% of the design credit to the Simplicity engineers of long ago. I've never seen a Simplicity cart in person, but would love to run across one someday. Paul, yes, the greenish colored brackets at the end of the frame are to house the tailights. I have a 4x8 trailer that I've used with my garden tractors for years, the first thing I did was take some 4 or 5 inch channel iron and weld it to the frame to hold the lights. Never broken or even cracked the plastic. They are well protected from brush, wood, rocks, or whatever I throw into the trailer. I'm a little worried about the strength of the frame where it attaches to the rear leaf spring bracket. I hope that the 2" tubing I'm using won't bend under the weight of whatever I may throw in there. I thought about stiffening it with some homemade heavy duty fenders welded to the frame member.

rokon2813

[img]/club2/attach/Orange/trailer small.JPG[/img]
My biggest concern would be the springs. I have one very similar to this, with just a deck added to haul a tractor. With the stock springs and stock fenders, a "B" rides okay, but a B with a tiller makes the fenders rub the tires on the bumps. :O Otherwise, I love the design, you do great work, just wish I had the time to copy it ^^

Tacey
I have a Genuine Simplicity dump trailer. I love the design, but I wish it was bigger (more capacity). In a way, it may be better to have it small, because it limits the load, due to its size. I could see how a bigger cart/trailer full of crushed limestone, could be hazardous to pull, or stop. I own another, larger trailer for hauling bigger items, such as firewood. But the little Simplicity trailer is great for bulk stuff like topsoil because of the clever dump feature. Nice job, Orange! Tacey