Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dozer Blade Done

MPH

and ready for some action. First I want to thank tractormike and Maynard for the pictures they posted at request last Nov on makeing the angle changing rod. Had the idea an old sterring knuckle would work just fine and save the pain of making the u-joint as I had one as parts of a cutup LL101 I got in the pile of Stuff. Just didn't seem to wanna function, here's the pieces that go back to the pile.

Have lots of time in making this outta a piece of flat iron and allthread nut, bored out to 3/8.

old blower shute rod drilled into cut off piece of steering shaft, pinned with 3/16 rollpin

Rod on, before painting

pic of blade, all pretty

Had to turn my bracket around so it would clear the Starter/gen. must have a longer shaft on it then oem ones do. Then to gain back the forward distance I used an I bolt for the rod to ride in. Think it'll be ok.

Marty Another idea would be to use a cheap ½" drive universal from a socket set. Pop the detent ball out of square drive male end and drill a ¼" hole though it and weld the control rod handle into the female end of the universal.

Cool Idea there Maynard! If the u-joint ever fails on my pitch control rod I'll have to keep your idea in mind. Marty....Your set up on your 64LL gives me a way to attach my rod to the tractor....I've been letting it float on my boot when not in use and it's gotten caught on my clutch a couple times as a result. My 46 inch blade did not have the earlier lift rod like yours. I used a tensioner rod which seems to gently push the blade to the ground as opposed to forcing it to dig. Sometime's that's a good thing and other times when i WANT it to dig in it wont. Maybe i'll try to fab up a solid rod for it as well for those just in case times when i want the blade to dig in. Carry On!!

Thanks guys.. I considered using a 1/2 inch swivel drive but wasn't sure a drill bit would drill it, besides, the local NAPA doesnt have anything cheap. Plus I would of had to leave the ropespool on the rod inorder to get the extra 8.5 inches of overall length needed. No smooth rod available in Tok, no premeditaion to buy it in town, besides, I have 2 or 3 3 belt blowers laying around with "free" rods.sm02 I have 1.27 spend on this, plus some 'on-hand' paint. Will admit, even a 20 dollar swivel would have been cheap for the time and firewrench gas I used making it.B) Sean, here's a link to the way the rod holder is suppose to be made. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=71923 The lift rod is also off a 3 belt snowblower

Marty, I needed a clutch engagement rod for the Sears snowblower that I put on the 716H. To hold the rear of it, I used a piece of flat stock bolted to the hole in the unused ear on the S-G (that can be seen in your first and last tractor pictures) then drilled a hole in the other end for the rod to slide thru. A very simple mount.

Good job Marty!! I made mine with the universal joint,but cut off the male and welded 2 nuts on the end to slide onto the pin.

Marty - Surpluscenter.com has a good universal joint for this type of project for only $4.95. They only have 3,961 of them left in stock though sm01

Details can be found at: [url]http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007030620132906&item=1-2839&catname=[/url] For those of you that don't know it, surpluscenter has a lot of great stuff for reasonable prices that can be adapted for a lot of projects. Glen (Glen112)

That would be perfect for the job.Ahhh, been to easy for homestead mentality:D:D Just for kicks i checked at NAPA today, 21 bucks for a 1/2 inch drive. Thanks for the link though, I bookmarked it.