Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Custom Carb Shield and hidden surprise

Simpleton7016

***** Maddening - how many of you have typed up a long message and then accidently hit "clear" below, instead of "post"? Cursing!! ****** Below are some pics of a surprise that was concealed by the thick layer of snow we got last week. I was cleaning a neighbors driveway and sucked this baby right up in to the spout. It is the only thing to date that has brought the 16 horse briggs to it's knees. And it was a mother to get out! Further below are pics of the custom carb shield I have been bragging about that has worked so well. It has been perfect and has improved the performance dramatically. I spent countless hours going through the archives to come up with my design. I also spent numerous hours at the local library pouring through engineering books. It took about 15 minutes to "break 'er in", but this thing fits like a glove now!! Please PM me if you want the blueprints or a step-by-step procedure for installation. it is critical to follow the specification I have mapped out!
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/plugged16.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Plugged26.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Carbshield16.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Carbshield26.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Carbshield36.jpg[/img]

i noticed the cords are arranged in the classic "x" fashion. is this to improve top end performance, decrease wind resistance or just pure aesthetics? also does it matter if the purple cord is over the green..or sometimes can you run it under the green..say if you were going out? :) scott

quote:
Originally posted by plastikosmd
i noticed the cords are arranged in the classic "x" fashion. is this to improve top end performance, decrease wind resistance or just pure aesthetics? also does it matter if the purple cord is over the green..or sometimes can you run it under the green..say if you were going out? :) scott
I think it depends on windspeed, relative humidity, barometric pressure, and most importantly -- windchill factor... dz&:)

Someone PM'd me about the smell of the burnt plastic. To tell you the truth, I couldn't even smell it through the exhaust fumes. :O

Looks like that piece of flex hose was tring hard to get out. seems I normally snap a belt when I plug mine up.

I usually use bed pans from the hospital for oil changes. First one i've seen being used as a heat shield/snow deflector. Carry On!!!

The problem was obviously caused by the color mismatch between the orange tractor and the red plastic pan. :D Good thing the plastic wasn't flammable. A burning tractor will warm your hands but makes for rather expensive firewood.

You'll need to find out if they make Allis Chalmers Orange in the spray paint for plastic! :D

What color is that shield? Can I just paint a shield of another color? Would the right color be available in Rustoleum? Can I make one out of metal instead of plastic? Would cables and turnbuckles work instead of the bungis? Will it cause the carb to freeze up if I use purple bungis? How much air flow is required with that system? What is the air temperature when it goes into the carb? Why am I asking all these questions? }:)dOd:D Just kidding with the questions. Your winter kit does look a lot better than mine.

So what you are saying, is the pipe don't work in the chute. its better to paint the chute it keep from plugging up? :D