Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower deck project 'Rocker Problem"-Take 3

MPH

As i need an orange mower deck for the 3314;), I dug this one outta my pile. Believe it was part of the LL101 that is dead proof some peoples kids should NOT be allowed to use a fire torch, man oh man. Not sure what he tried to mount it on, but he cut the ears off the axle point hanggers and welded some straps on, plus several other pieces of iron welded here and there. I noticed the hanggers on this deck are welded to a pipe instead of being indivual like my old deck, which I believe was a B-10 deck. Good Reason??

Bottom doesn't look real bad for rust, it's not pitted at least.

This has got to be the best attempt to balance a mower blade I've ever seen

Suppose I should replace it?? Now starts the not so fun part, cleanning it up.

Gotta get used to having this guy and pull it out sooner. Thought about it when I started cranking on the puller to remove the pullies, then used it too remove the spindels. Man, is that sweet.

Inspite of having several decals on it, only # I found is on the belt and bearings. Will the belt chart work to go from # 108209 belt to which deck it goes on? Just got a call back from U.S. bearing in Fairbanks. The Hoover # 29504B crosses over to a Fafnir # 204RR6. Got 6 of them on the way. Got tired of having all these orange chucks of iron hangging around the living room looking like a junkyard wind chime so I bolted them back together last night.

Whoops, they weren't orange yet in the picture I took to send my kids on e-mail. Here's a couple bolted together

Waitting on new woodruff keys for the pullies before I can finish, hopefully in tommorws mail. That was a good catch Thom, and I thank you for speaking up. I knew it was upside down from the way the old one came off, but as hacked up as it was wasn't sure it was on right anyway. Apparently my assumption that the "housing spacer, as called in my book" I'll refer to it has the u-shaped pipe or bail, off the old 48 inch deck would work since it was the right width is bitting me. Following are a couple pictures showing why I put it on the only way it fit and was gonna see if it would work before I changed something. newer rocker shaft on the right way

here is the new one still on the right way with the rocker off the 48 inch deck overlayed.

As the hitch pin holes are real close to the same hiegth on the deck housing as my old 42 inch deck I decided to try it. Think I should spend more money first , mostly to the post office, to get the proper bail send up. The 3314 is still sitting in the leantoo for winter storage which I can't bring in the shop til I get the gilson sent home. After a long hunt at SLI couldn't come up with a different yoke that sounded like it would work, so the next morning I went out in the semi-van and studied over my old 42 inch deck some more and found the pipe yoke to be about 15 1/2 from center of hole to front of the pipe. The one off the 48 inch deck I'm tring to use is about 16 1/2. Thought about it a bit, decided that makes sence the 48 inch deck would need to be longer from front to rear, though I didn't go undo the 2 day blizzaed damage to measure it, and that one inch too long is about what kept it from hooking up properly, this is what I did this afternoon hiding from the snow. As was

Set this iron on it to get my cuts even with the front edge

Because of tring to mount a 14hp gilson snow blower on the 16hp yesterday I happened to have the perfect splicing material on hand^. Cut two 7" pieces outta the gilson lift rod, fit so snug I hadda take the paint off. I then drilled 1/8" holes and used roll pins to lock it together.

Hadda grind 1/16 off one end to get both ends matching, ended with 15 1/4 inch front to center of hole.

Here's the way it looks back on the deck

With high hopes, I got the 3314 outta hibernation late this afternoon now that I delivered the Gilson last night and it'll fit in the shop

Hope to try it on tonight yet and level it up. Have to put the center PTO engaugement lever back on first and check a few other things. Least I think this my 3rd try. After shorting the yoke I was unable to lower the front end enough to get it level, if I would have shortened it more the clevises would have hit the deck top, so, I robbed one rocker off the B series 42 inch deck, man is it worn out, to use with the one off the 48 inch deck, they were the same. Problem was then I hadda screw the clevis out too near the end of the bolt because I shortened the yoke, soooo, I rehacked the hacked up rocker that came with it,

I now have it mounted up, leveled to the spec of 1/2 higher in front, only problem left is the left side is 3/8 lower then the right. Tried turning the left side clevis out more but then the pins won't go back in on the solid style yoke. The hangging holes were too near prfect to level to measure any difference with a tape.

Noticed when I had the B series rockers on it lifted a lot higher on the right side, just like the deck on the B-112 did. Thinking this might be why they went to the solid one piece rocker on front. Do they float on uneven ground as well?

Your right, Don't look bad except what they torched and removed. Hope you have the missing and altered pieces to get that going again. If not I'll sent them to you. I can't believe that blade, who would grind on side and not the other? If that's balanced I'll eat my shortssm00sm00.

Looks like you got your work cut out, hopefully you have the correct parts to get her back together. JH

Marty, I believe that deck is for an RBT. First clue is the lift point. The eyebolt instead of the welded bar. Another clue is the width between the adjustment arms. The oldest decks had separate front hangers. Then they went to a flat iron welded between, then finally the pipe.

That could be good news Pat, since I plan for it to go on my RB-lessT 3314. I realized the lift point wasn't part of the hacking last night after I pulled the covers off after the Kroil had a few hours soak time. The bail from a rusted 48 inch deck seems like it will fit, though I haven't checked it out real close. Should the rocker arms be shaped the same as the old ones? Am I right in assuming there are two rollers missing? They do seem to be in pretty good shape, though most are too tight to roll.C May need to take you up on some parts Tom, only extra parts I have are on the rusted 48inch. thanks

Marty, as long as the rockers are flat, they are the same on 42" decks. Same with 48" decks, but the 48" deck used a different rocker than the 42" deck. On edit: Looks like all the rollers are there for that rear roller. The only thing that may need to be changed is the drive pulley. I can't see it clearly enough. What is the diameter?

Am I seeing that blade correctly? It looks as if they cut or ground off the back side or wing of the blade. It looks like a decent shell to start with, good luck and as always we like pictures!:p Dan

Pat, the drive pulley is a two speed:D. One is 4 1/4 the small one below it is 2 3/4. Heck, think I'll use the little one and really give it a spin.:O.

Put a large wirebrush in my 3/8 drill and gave the spindles a good spin, like I was afraid of, the one with the hacked off blade is a little loud though it don't feel loose at all. Looking at the blades and the rollers I don't think this deck is done much mowing. Have the rollers in a veritcal position letting Kroil soak down the shaft as now they stiffly turn in the bushing instead of the bushing on the shaft. Don't look like the blade have ever been sharpned and I've mowed with blades more blunt then these. Sure would be intersting to know why the back edge was hacked off that one. So was the plan that the rear tires complete the strip where the missing rollers are on these?. Seems it could leave an unstripped path mowing in a curve.

Man after my day today this was the best lauggh i had--- the mental picture of grinding down that blade over and over and over- "ya think she's sharp now Newt? do ya":D:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the pics of the baffle under the deck. I kind of knew what it was supposed to look like, but, mine didn't have one when I got it, so when it cut, it left a trail between the far right side blade and the center blade. Your pics and the impression in the deck from where it used to be, is helping me to make one.

I would guess that they hit a rock or something with that blade and were too cheap to buy a new one. They simply cut out the mangled portion and tried to make do.

Marty, the front mount is on upsidedown. The middle swivel holes mount to the deck and the small ears mount to the carraige bracket. I just looked and I dont have a good pic of this.