Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Counter weight

Glacier

Need to make a counter weight for a B series. Would anyone out there have the dimensions and the approximate weight of one. Thanks, Jeff

how original do you want it to look, Glacier? I'm building one as we speak but my "weight" piece is a piece of railroad rail. I'd be happy to share notes. Someone here told me the weight was 60-70 lbs. -Don

Was thinking of making it out of a piece of pipe, just need length and diameter. Will fill the pipe with some sort of material to get the weight.

If you do a search you should be able to find the post of one I built a couple years ago. Think mine came out around 40lbs and seems to work good. If you can't I'll go back and see if I can find the old pictures, not sure they are even on this computer.

Hey Matt, What's the extra bar on the left for? Or would that go on the right so the weight was pitched outwards when your implement was lowered via attaching it to the mid mount implement control?

i made mine from a piece of 3 inch shaft. the shaft came out of a headpulley on a rock crushing plant. had to buy some 1 x 1/4 flat bar for the lift point and cut the mounting tabs out of flat plate using a cardboard template. the hardest part was cutting the shaft. i cut the first piece at about a foot.when i picked it up,i said 'yep, that's as heavy as i want to move around' don't know what the actual weight is, maybe 25 pounds, but it works for now. got curious. found the bathroom scale and a flashlight, put my boots back on-barefooting in the dark in florida is akin to suicide(i'll have to do a post on southern critters) and weighed the weight. 37 pounds. if the opportunity arises again, i will make a heavier one. going to make some kind of gin pole for the back end someday and might need more weight