Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ZippoVarga

Dual wheel spacers of a different breed.

ZippoVarga
They are made of SDR17 pipe, 3/4" wall, the kind used in fused applications and are 2 and a half inches wide. They seat just within the bead wall right at the outer lip and are secured in place using all thread through the wheel weight holes...and yes, they can be used WITH wheel weights. They have been machined on the inner edge to allow for wheel weights to be used on the inner wheel as well as being able to use weights on the outer wheels as well if desired. I think they're slick my self. And MUCH cheaper than the oem. Not to mention that mud cannot get caked between the wheels like with the OEM spacers. Here's a couple pics of the wheel prep, paint, and installed duals. Also....am I the only one who cuts off the little nubbs on new tires????? They just bug me. Any how, on to the pics!!

Here I have cut the tabs off one of the tires...

Here are the dual spacers made from the SDR17 pipe.

And the wheels installed with the spacers on the 3212V. Which will eventually make their way onto the 64 LL. That's my eldest daughter by the way...she was givin her a test sit to see if she liked the new sovereign or not.

A closer look at the duals...

And a little something I found at the local Rural King today.

ZippoVarga
Yes Matt...they only had 4. Tons of farmall, minneapolis molene, JD and a few others. If you tell me your size i'll go grab one for ya so you'll be sure to have one.

pullcrazy
zippo, where did you get the srd17 pipe? I've never heard of it. did you have to have it cut to length or were you able to cut them yourself? thanks, in advance, jeff

Ketchamized
Sean, That's a great idea. My only question/concern would be, would the bolts damage the bolt-hole over time? I only ask because from what I can tell, you put the plastic spacers between the rims and it locks in the groove between the two. Then 5 long bolts sandwiches the rims together? With the original hub converter, you'd bolt one end securely to the rim, and the other end securely to the other, not allowing for any play. But, with this setup, the bolts are the only thing between the two? If that's the case, it might be a good idea to bolt or weld 2 flat 1/4" to 1/2" plates in the middle to keep the 5 bolts constantly in line to prevent the 2nd wheel from twisting and turning.

ZippoVarga
Jeff, there is a guy selling them on ebay. I can put you in touch with him if you like. Erick, this set up uses the square holes to pull the spacer together with the wheels. I have a similar concern though, with twisting and possibly damaging the wheels. For this I plan to make reinforcement plates with tubes welded trough the plates to put the all thread through to help eliminate any twisting of the attaching all thread.

ZippoVarga
Larry, Rural King has the Stanly brand mufflers and they're under 20 bucks including the rain cap. I love them and they are quiet under no load and really bark when the governor kicks in. TSC also has them, but are quite a bit higher in price.

bluecap24
I made a similar set with steel pipe and welded up some long bolts to some rod. I haven't had any problem with them twisting. I just keep them tight. I would be concerned that the plastic would squish under load and then I could see them spinning.

ZippoVarga
Hey Jim, This stuff is TOUGH! The guy I bought them from showed me where he actually split the weld on the wheel from tigntening the mounting bolts too tight. No worries about failure even in cold weather.

ZippoVarga
Here is a link with all the information on the material that was used to make these wheel spacers. As seen, this is some really tough material..... http://www.vylonpipe.com/brochures/HDPEBrochure.pdf