Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle Bars

HTews

Several months ago there was a discussion about a source for new bars for the sickle mowers. I had made these in the past and had offered to make more. I received several emails from people that wanted bars. At the time I was in the process of having a new jig made for drilling the bars. I got the jig and then my drill press motor died and then to top it off I have lost everybody's email that requested bars. Well finally I have fixed the drill press and I am ready to start making bars. If you are interested in a bar please send me an email with the number of bars or any questions you have. The bars will cost $20 plus shipping. To the moderators if this is posted in the wrong forum. I apologize.

I would just like to clarify that I am making the bars that the knives attach to not the bar that the rock guard attach to. Sorry for the confusion. If you have any other questions let me know.

i bought two bars from you a couple of years ago. one for the sickle bar i was overhauling and one as a spare since these seem to be a wear part of the bar. the workmanship was EXCELLENT! everything fitted like it was factory made. thank you.

My sicklebar mower has one of Howard's bars in it. I got the mower from Roy, and I think he bought the bar from Howard. Quite a job to take all the teeth off the broken bar and put them on the new one.

With the condition of my cheapo drill press I'll save my piece of iron for something else and buy one from you. PM's for mailing and payment info your plan??

MPH... yes you can either PM or a direct email. I check both. Dav, thanks for the feed back!sm01 Howard

Howard/ John....I will be traveling to DC in April if you are in the need of a mule to transport your bars for free (errr, I mean a beer)....

Erik, Keep us posted. If you come to John's place, I could probably meet you there. I would like to meet you in person.

• 4 weeks later...
Just a follow up.... I have been drilling bars for the people that have contacted me. My next question.... Is there an interest for the rivets? Some have asked if I have a supplier for the rivets. I am working on one now. Does anybody already have a supplier they would like to share? I believe somebody found a supplier for knives also. Does anybody have that info and would like to share. What I recall is a company by the name of Jari that had the 2" knives, but I'm not sure. Hoping your memory banks are better than mine... HT

I got a few from these guys. http://www.foskettequipment.com/html/about_us.html I remember them costing $1 a piece:O but he had them in stock. I only got 4 so I don't know how many he keeps in stock.

Part # 121 and 123 I believe they have serated knives as well. These are two inch with two rivet holes, need two knives with center hole for eccentric. http://www.grasslandcorp.com/monarch_parts_manual.pdf another possible source http://sickleservice.com/

Thanks Elon and Ambler for the resources I will check out further. Does any one have an original rivet that has not been used that could share the dimension of rivet. I have found 7/32" dia round head rivets in 1/2" and 19/32" length and would like to know which length would be the closest. The supplier recommend 19/32",but said it is longer than what is really need but felt the 1/2" was a little short. I was just curious what was used originally. I think I will call the Jari company tomorrow and talk to them about their knives. I will keep you up to date on what I find. Howard

Went looking for some I ordered from SLI last fall, according to my tape they are 3/16 x 1/2 inch. Guess I'll find out they work when my new bar arrives.

A 3/16 dia will work it is just smaller in dia than what I drill the holes. All of my original bars had 7/32 holes so that is what I am drilling.

• 3 months later...
quote:
Originally posted by HTews
Thanks Elon and Ambler for the resources I will check out further. Does any one have an original rivet that has not been used that could share the dimension of rivet. I have found 7/32" dia round head rivets in 1/2" and 19/32" length and would like to know which length would be the closest. The supplier recommend 19/32",but said it is longer than what is really need but felt the 1/2" was a little short. I was just curious what was used originally. I think I will call the Jari company tomorrow and talk to them about their knives. I will keep you up to date on what I find. Howard
Ran across this thread while searching today because I just broke my bar:( Are you still making these bars and have you had any success on the rivet sourcing? Thanks for any update you can provide.

Marty, Did you ever get or use the rivets I sent you a while back? They were from JAY-CEE rivet, found them on the web. I think they were #6 Oval section rivets, 9/16 long. They measure about .200" Diameter. Seemed to work well in an original bar. Has any one bought knives from the above suppliers links? I'd like to pick up a few extra sections, just in case. GregB

quote:
Originally posted by GregB
Marty, Did you ever get or use the rivets I sent you a while back? They were from JAY-CEE rivet, found them on the web. I think they were #6 Oval section rivets, 9/16 long. They measure about .200" Diameter. Seemed to work well in an original bar. Has any one bought knives from the above suppliers links? I'd like to pick up a few extra sections, just in case. GregB
Greg, the #6 rivet is what is spec'd in the parts manual for the sickle mowers, but they list a 1/2" length. I doubt the extra 1/16 will hurt.

Also I got the following information in another forum awhile back concerning knife sections. "Here is the info I promised in the other posting about the interchange parts for the 46" sickle bars. The machine I was looking at is a JARI Monarch, model C-90159, 36" walk behind mower. See their website for pics of it. The center gaurds (JARI p/n 101710) are interchangeable with ours, and list at $30. They are cast just a little different on the top, which is fine for everyday use, but not close enough for a restoration. The knives are exactly like my NOS knives. They are JARI p/n 102530 and list at $2.55 each. It looks like you can get smooth or serrated knives." Here is a link to the website: http://www.year-a-round.com/jari_mowers.html

I have one of Howard's bars if I remember properly. It is really nice, he even included an extra length 2" length at the end to put another knife onto. Initially I thought I was going crazy and lost a precious knife on my garage floor somewhere, but after 15 minutes of searching and thinking what a fool I am to loose a somewhat irreplaceable part, I decided to check the length with the old bar and see if they were the same :> I used the 3/16" x 1/2" rivets from a bearing and hardware supply house, they worked just fine. I also added some reinforcement to mine on the top side with sections of the old bar, right where they like to break apart, used 3/16" x 3/4" rivets there. I have taken pics but haven't uploaded them yet...