Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Yeoman rear end

bud119195

I was out plowing with me little 637 yesterday and something broke in rear end It only has one forwsrd gear and will not shift into any other gear.Does anyone have any ideas on what to look for ? or does someone have a different one available in wisc. that I could purchase cheap Thanks

Thats funny you posted this. Monday with my 637 I had the same exact problem happen to me. go figure:) I'm wanting to tear my trans apart and see whats going on, but havn't had a chance to yet. The Simplicity Gods must not like the Yeomans this week:D:D:D:D

Not just Yeomans. I broke my 717 trans this last snow while plowing. Probably broke a key. I'm just glad I recently purchased a Broadmoor repair manual. It has very detailed pictures of the rear end/trans. It should make the repair easier. I also just purchased a 627 Yeoman for $50 just for the trans. I will be installing it this weekend. Tom

Maybe you shift forks are out out phase caused by a missing detnet ball or broken spring. Either way transmission may have to be split or someone can tell about the bent screw driver routine.

I don't think the bent screwdriver trick will work on those transmissions. I think the fill hole is on top and not the side. I could be wrong, I haven't seen one in a wile.:O:D

quote:
Originally posted by shanhamm
The fill hole is in the back!
No the fill hole is on the top..and you take the one out at the back and fill through top until the oil starts to run out the hole at back and cap it.. On another note: Yes the screw driver trick does work from the top fill hole as I have done that before..Problem though...to access the fill hole you have to remove the fender/seat pan..I think most people are like me though and just fill through the hole at the back, LOL Also most all parts are avalible for these..If you got it jammed in between gears the plan to buy a new pinion gear set at about $150