Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JCS

Center PTO idler bracket for Snowthrower

JCS
Just to udate on my attempt to change the center PTO idler brackets on a 3416H to a 7100/900 series style with fixed v-type idler, and 2 "ears" on the spring idler for running both a mower and a snowthrower. The swap for the spring loaded idler was easy. Just removed a pin, loosened a bolt and slide the old out and new in. Fabricating the bracket to install the v-type idler also easy using 2 angle irons and a little 1/8" flat stock (lighter than I wanted to use but all I had). Bolted new bracket on to existing holes in the 3416H's frame. It was very difficult to determine where exactly to drill for the idler. After several attempts, got a working position. Using the mower deck for testing, I have discovered you have to use a longer than normal belt so as to not have clearance/interference problems between the two idlers. The old mower belt is about 70 or 71 inches. I ended up using a 75" belt, partly because I happened to have a new one, partly because it was a good fit. Bottom line is it works. I need to do some "fine tuning" on the v-idler bracket but do not see any problems running the snowblower, other than determining, and finding, the 130-something inch belt I think it will take. Brent

BradW
Nice to see you didn't waste any time on the project. I hope it all works out for you (it should). Here's a tip: mount your blower and hitch up and use rope (clothes line) to get a pretty good estimate of the belt length needed. Try a buy a good quality L&G belt locally so you can exchange it if it doesn't fit.

dallenx
Thanks for the suggestions Dutch. Something I forgot to comment on was the cost of this solution. I'm in for $15 to this point, which is what I paid for the spring loaded idler bracket and pulley off a junked 7100 series tractor. If this ends up working ok for the snowthrower it would be much less expensive than having to buy the front PTO. I don't know for sure what a used front PTO setup for the 3416H would run, but it has to be more than $15. The 130 something inch belt I am going to have to buy will probably also end up costing more than a belt for the front PTO setup would, so that should be taken into consideration as well.