Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

taking off hubs/limited slip. UPDATE....

perry

i am finnaly getting to the 2010 landlord rearend. it wont move so i am trying to check keyways. the left side looks fine. what do i need to do to get to the keys on the right side. i just got the snap ring off and now im stuck. i dont want to jump into a night mare with all the gears in the traction-lock box. is this pressed on??. or will this pull right off????.

When I put new seals in my 64ll I pulled the left side off, cleaned the burrs and paint off the axle, then pulled it out the right side, wheel hub still on. Then I tapped the diff carrier gentle off by tapping on the back side of it.

im in the middle of this right now. mph, your talking about sliding the whole axle out of the rearend???.....ill check back.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. thatway you don't have to fight with getting that snap ring off that holds the diff gear :the large one". Trick I learned from someone on here a few years back.

i havent got back to the rearend yet. {got side tracked with kids quads} when i took the tire off, the outer coller with the set screws fell off. the set screws look to be sheared. i dont know what caused that?...

Can't think of any reason it shouldn't, just looked in my parts book and don't see any retainers there I'm not thinking of.

i should be able to get out to the shop within a hour. i have some major projects pileing up and i need to get this going. oh ya, i noticed the axle tube spinning. is the tube supposed to move??. thanks mph for your input...

The axle tube is what gets the power applied inside the tranny, two keys in the diff hub lock it too the tube, tranfering power to the right wheel and/or through the pinion gears too the diff gear which is keyed to the axle shaft getting power to the left wheel.

im back in action. all it was was the coller that holds the hub on, the set screws came loose. witch made the hub slide out of the gears in the gear box. :D now when this rutty mud pit of a driveway drys out, ill throw the grader blade on and get some seat time. .. pic taken summer 2006......
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/sep06001.jpg[/img]