Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

GRANDERS

I HAVE BROKEN A THIRD INPUT SHAFT TO THE TRANSMISSION AND THE SHIFT LEVER IS LOCK IN AGAIN BETWEEN 1ST AND REV. A LITTLE HISTORY OF WHAT HAS BEEN DONE. THE FRIST TIME I BROKE I REPLACED THE SHAFT AND A GEAR AND ALL OF THE BEARINGS AND OR BUSHINGS AND SEALS. AFTER I GOT IT BACK TOGETHER IT HAD A TICK SOUND WHEN MOVING. WHEN THE SECOND SHAFT BROKE 2 MONTHS LATER I TOOK IT TO A DEALER TO FIX IT. IT STILL HAD TICK SOUND AND NOW ITS BROKE FOR A 3RD TIME AFTER 1.5 YEARS OF ONLY USING IT FOR SNOWBLOWING. CAN ANYBODY HELP!!!!! OR SHOULD I FIND A USED TRANSMISSION ? AND IF SO ANY THOUGHTS TO LOOK FOR A USED ONE ?

I'm very interested in your problem because I have a 6216 and have been running 26x12x12 Ag tires with a plow on the tractor. Just finished distributing 9 yards of bluestone on a 65 ft by 20 ft driveway, and really beat the hell out of the machine. Where is the shaft breaking, and what does the failure surface look like ? If the gears are binding, or the machine was overloaded, and the shaft has been twisted off, the end should look like a spiral ramp with a 45 deg angle. If the shaft is failing due to material problems the end may be flat across, and show semi-circular ripples originating from the defect. I'd clean it with carb cleaner and have a really close look for any signs of scoring on the surface (a bad bearing cup rubbing on shaft will cause a stress riser), or small pitts (material or heat treatment problem). It's possible that new stock replacements are being processed differently at the factory. If so, I'd better take it easy on mine.

THE SHAFT BREAKS AT THE POINT WHERE IT GOES INTO THE TRANS AND CONTINUES IN SOME. IT HAS A TWIST TO THE BREAK AND AT ITS AN ANGLED BREAK. ALL 3 SHAFTS HAVE BROKE WITH THE SAME LOOK , BUT THE FRIST SHAFT HAD DEEP SCORING ON IT FROM THE SEAL. I HAVE NOT LOOKED AT THE LAST SHAFT REAL CLOSE YET.

If it is always jammed in gear I would look into replacing both shift shaft and spring assys and having the roll pin clearance checked. The input shaft breakage may be a secondary result.

I ALSO THINK THAT THE SHAFT BREAKAGE IS A SECONDARY PROBLEM THANKS WILL LOOK AT THIS WHEN THE WEATHER WARMS UP GARY IN WISC