Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-1 or 725 air filter

Learning

Concerning the old b-1 / 725 oil bath air cleaner. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to thoroughly clean one of these old style filters? My first inclination is to soak it in kerosene. What is the filter material inside and can the filter be removed from the top half or is it welded? Are the gaskets still available? I want to clean one up and paint it. Thanks.

I have not used one of these myself but I have a couple of them I need to fix and install. In my engine class they told us to use diesel fuel to clean them out. Some types come apart and some don't. I think most of the small engine ones don't come apart. Just soak it as best you can, I don't know for sure about the gaskets, if its the cork one that goes on the air cleaner base they are still available from briggs.

Then you can always read the manuals B1, 700, 725 Engine Model 19d, 19D-FB, 19D-R6

10 Hp Model 243431

12 Hp Model 300401

Thanks guys. The kerosene cleaning it is then! Thanks for the "official" instructions and diagram Greg.

Just a thought on using kerosene or diesel instead of gas, it may leave an 'oily' film on the element causing it to clog sooner by the dirt sticking to it instead of the oil bath trapping the dirt