Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 4212h

kaylor

I have a great simplicity 4212h lawn tractor. My ignition switch went out, so I had it replaced during the tractor's spring tune-up. The new switch did not work, so the tech switched the wires on the plug, so the new switch would work. The engine turns over, and will run for a short time, then the coil bakes. I found an original switch, I just need a wiring diagram to return the wires to their home. I no longer trust my local tech, so I am on my own. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Hi, There about 10 different versions of the "Indak" switches, and all will plug into the 5 terminal plug. If your ignition coil smoked, you are lucky, had you had a Magnetron, it would have been trashed. This issue causes us more grief than any other problem. We get tractors in that have a new switch in and the owner doesn't want to admit he went to NAPA and bought a "5" terminal switch. We can run down the problem. When you get a switch that puts 12v on the ign kill line when you go to start, you need a new switch, plus a new ignition module. Any time you replace a switch, IT MUST BE EXACTLY LIKE THE OLD ONE. No different shaped terminals etc. Also the Battery ign switches have one thread for the lock nut and the mag switches the opposite fine and coarse. I am sorry a technician led you astray, If we screwed up like that, we wouuld stand the repair. We aren't necessarily cheap, but we are fair. Good luck, with this. Al Eden

I would hope that your tech swapped the wires correctly and that there is another problem, but you will find that out soon enough. A little more money for the correct part is always the way to go if possible, less time and a lot less grief.

I got the diagrams, my tractor has different colored wires. The manufacturing number on my tractor is 1691340. Where can I find a wiring diagram for my specific tractor. My neighbor similar tractor, and his switch is set up differently from mine and the above diagrams. Jon