Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PaulK

Snowblower help needed

PaulK
Recent 10" snowfall prompted me to attach my blower and go at it for the first time. There must be a better way. It took me about an hour to get the blower onto my Simp. 3112, which I bought (very) used about two years ago. When I moved it into a drift, there was a puff of snow from the tines churning, but nothing from the chute. The belt looked like it might be in backwards, but that's the way it came to me. Another try, and the belt bit the dust after a short schreech. (Less than a minute engaged, and still no snow blowing.) Can someone tell me the proper steps and process? I have no manuals and no neighbors with blowers to compare to, and ended up plowing the drive with the dead blower - not efficient. Help!

Karl_Brandt
Do you have the 2 pulley hitch used with the front PTO? If so, 1 pulley should be for the "V" side of the belt and the other for the "back" side. Sounds like the belt may have been twisted the wrong way coming over the auger shaft drive pulley causing the auger to turn in the wrong direction. After you get a new belt, try hooking the hitch to the tractor first, and then hook the blower to the hitch. It may be a little less wrestling. Before you put power to it, visually check alignment of the belt and all pulleys. Also make sure the pulleys spin freely, and oil/grease the sprockets and chain.

richp
You might want to check to see if the chain is rusty. Just take off the guard on the left side. Also i found if the chute is rusty the moment you hit heavy snow it will clogg up and could jam the belt.