Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RickS

Front or mid pto snowblower

RickS
Hi, I have used both a front pto snowblower and a mid pto snowblower. I did this on two different tractors. the front pto blower was on a 7012H and the mid pto blower was on a 1718. I know Maynard likes the mid pto blower. What is the difference between the two and why is one better than the other? I will admit I like the mid pto better, but that is because the tractor has a hydro-lift. That makes picking up the blower much easier. thanks Rick...........

UCD
My biggest reason is Less belt problems and belt slippage The 7790 Diesel will stall before the belt slips. On my front PTO 7016 I could go though a belt a year The mid PTO the belt last 4 - 5 years or longer and I used them hard.

dlcentral
I will admit when I first saw that long belt sys., I thought, what a piece of junk that is, but since owning some of them,they work just fine belt tension is the key

Gary
I've only had the mid PTO blower. I am well enough pleased with it, that I see no reason to consider installing a front PTO. Great belt life, and it throws snow like crazy:D

mendon-chalmers
I HAVE USED A FRONT BELT PTO SYSTEM FOR THE 15TH YEAR AND REPLACED THE BELT THE 1ST TIME THIS YEAR, BECAUSE THE SPRING THAT HOLDS THE ONE IDLER UPRIGHT WHEN DISENGAGED BROKE & WENT BETWEEN THE PULLY & THAT LITTLE L SHAPED BRACKET THAT HOLDS THE BELT ON, & TORE THE BELT UP, I LIVE AROUND WIDOWED AND OLD PEOPLE I BLOW OUT 8 DRIVES EVERY CLIP:pTIME WISE 11/2 TO 5 HRS:O& NEVER NOTICED ANY SLIPPAGE ON OLE YELLER, (ALLIS B112 & 42"BLOWER THATS ALL ORIGINALL)

UCD
Scott Please lower your caps All capital letters in forums is considered yelling and makes for harder reading. Thank you.

RickS
Thanks for all the replies. I did not notice any difference in the use of my two blowers. The front pto blower on my 7012H does not throw snow as far as the mid pto blower on my 7118. I does push either blower as hard as Maynard. I use is generally 1 -1 1/2 hours per snow storm. I am in Maine, but I think Maynard gets more snow in Vermont. thanks again Rick............

UCD
Up until 5 years ago the average was 3 times a week 4 to 5 hours a storm and as much as 12 hours I did a 200' x 100' parking lot at my Garage and another 9 car parking area at my Apt building as well as 4 or 5 neighbors drives that had no place to put snow with a plow truck. I was using 3 gallons of diesel average per storm. I did this for over 20 years. Last year I didn't use 3 gallons all winter This winter I have used about 8 gallons but I have done the walks for 6 duplexes next door to me that takes me 45min to an hour to do.

DanD
My 7016 has a front PTO 42" snowblower that I just got before last winter. When I first got it, it did an ok job, but since we had hardly any snow last winter I didn't think too much of it. If I did use it, sometimes I could smell a burning smell which I assumed was probably the clutch. THis winter, the old belt shredded when I was blowing just a small snow that we had earlier in the winter. I got a Simplicity belt since I know they work better, especially in those situations where it's going around corners. The Simplicity was clearly wider than the old belt. There were no visible numbers on the old belt, but I assume it was a hardware store belt (and probably many years old). Anyway, to make a long story short, it made an incredible difference in the performance of the blower with the new belt. No more burnt smell and throws snow like crazy. No evidence of any wear on the belt and I did quite a bit of blowing in these last storms that we had.