Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Leaking transmission problem solved..Thanks!

Well I am embarrassed to say but it was a really stupid mistake. It turns out that my helper had already changed the oil and forgot to tell me. Then I come along and added more oil, thinking it was empty! After draining nearly a gallon of oil out and putting the correct amount in, all is well. Thanks for the good advice!

Hey I embarrass myself all the time. But one thing I have learned from being in this club we all either make mistakes or over look things or what ever "but" there is no "shame" from one fellow member to another member in our club that I have ever seen. I think that I can talk for all of us in that at least by you letting us all know next time if there happens to be one - the problem was solved and we know what to look for if it ever happens again. Thanks for letting us know, >>->happyjack<-<<

Heres alittle story about a garden tractor puller that did as you did over filled his trans he thought the level plug was the filler plug a blue tractor puller said why not put in a little chassis lube so he used acompressed air greaser from work to fill the tran. No leak the tractor absolutly would not move. He then brought it to me ,the worst trans job I ever had what a mess at first I could not separate the halves of the case as the grease sucked it together ,cleaned, resealed it &it pulled all last summmer. Cal

I know what happens to a transmission when you fail to fill it with gear lube. I got lucky I only had to replace the reverse idler gear I could have replaced more gears but I felt the price was to high. It has been running fine for the last 3 years now and I do stoop low now and do fill the trans with lube it leaks a little but still works good.I still dont know why you have to do lube and maintenence on these things after all thay should last forever.Oh ya I might even change the oil this year every 2 years should be plenty after all my tractor is only 30 yrs old