Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax bogging

dallenx

I just bought a '73 Powermax. It has one problem I'm hoping to be able to fix. The engine starts, idles and accelerates ok, but...the more I engage the hydro (push the lever forward) the more the engine bogs. On flat ground, in third gear, the engine almost dies. This thing has been on the coast most if not all of its life. Could the brakes be sticking?

The brakes could be locked up but it sounds more like an engine problem. The timing could be off or you could have a bad fuel pump. If the latter, check your oil level. I had a cracked diaphram in the fuel pump and it filled my crankcase with gasoline.

I doubt it's the brakes, because the brakes on these things aren't good enough to bog the 19.5 hp Onan. I would first put in fresh points, condenser and plugs and get the timing set perfectly. Then go to the fuel system - fuel pump and carb. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Jeff

I have two 620 AC's and I have to put in new points every 75 to 100 hrs. with out fail. The engine will start to bog and missfire big time. In fact I'm going out to the shop after this and install points and condensor in the 620 with the plow on. It had started to miss the other day when I was plowing, took the point cover off and the points were sparking really bad. Checked my maintenance schedule and it had been 80rs. since last changed. The CCKB's like to eat up the points! If the points are burnt at all it will start to miss. I have had both of my 620's for almost 20 yrs. Let us know what you find, good luck! Floydster

Also if you see traces of oil check your plunger and bushing clearance. Does anyone know of a plunger seal that can be adapted like the one used on B&S cast iron? Unfortunately it is a little too small.