Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Where is the dipstick

As you can see from this original brochuure photo showing the appropriate location (the frame cutout), it looks like there wasn't one. My B-210 has a replacement engine and it has about a 3" extension tube that brings the filler above the level of the frame, and it has a dipstick built in the cap. My Big Ten, in comparison, does not. Both hold the 2 quarts of oil, but it's certainly easier to put it in the newer engine with the extension tube... http://www.simpletractors.com/images/1968_ac/feature_11.jpg

I have a B/S 300421 in my b-112, after looking in B/S illustrated parts list, I can see a dipstick & pipe-oil filler mount around the front p.t.o. cover, but nothings on my engine, and by the bottom oil filler cap impossible to put the 2 quarts or 2.3liters of oil recommended, I am wrong or it was a options.

Some had a short 3"? pipe extension with a 1/8"? capped dip stick rod. It sounds you are refering to a later design tall tube dip stick with a curled handle that is slightly above the cylinder head - that was not used on your model. Is your engine original or has it been replaced? Some replacement engines required using the original sump to retain use of the original fill level. B&S illustrated parts list groups a lot of models together and if the type is not specified you usually go with the "defalut" or by matching the appropriate picture - but then you need to know what you are supposed to have.

Maintain the oil to near overflowing. They don't hold quite 2 qt. in my experience, which covers 25 years sellin', fixin' & ownen' 'em. Bill

Thank to all of you to helping me,like Kent the one trying to explane to me 2 times where to find the cross-reference belt for my belt problems, but now Kent I found it thank again. just a little confidence: I have been mechanic for 16 years restoring car repair ect... be in car club and I never found a group of nice people like all of you always ready to answer and help people with hurry and passion for your hobby, let me tell you that with experience that because of those reasons and more your website is rate so high, Thank again Don.P for Montréal

If you have a newer style pan there is NO fill as it was built into the upper block by the cyl. head!And a tube/dipstick was used.