Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Leaking fuel tank

SmilinSam
I like to use the 3Gal tanks with the nipple molded into the tank , but I ran out of those. Using the kind with the aluminum nipple and rubber bushing. Bought new bushing, worked fine in warm weather, now that its cold the gas runs out arounnd it. Anybody been there done that? Have any helpful suggestions that work? Sam

Sandy_Lake_Imp
You may be able to get an epoxy liquid liner you pour in the tank. Check around . You can do it your self. read the directions . A lot of times they recomend you take the tank off and fill it with water then dump it and refill it with a good amount of dish washing detergent and fill it the rest of the way with water till the suds foam out of the top this will get rid of any fumes. Do this several times. then drain and let dry then add liner being sure to rotate the tank all around to get the coating all around the tank. This is pretty much how they did my gas tank on my old car . Just call auto repair shops and auto parts stores to see who sells the LIQUID LINER. And go by the directions. GAS FUMES STAY IN TANKS FOR ALONG TIME , SO BE CAREFUL!! IF you are not sure of doing it yourself , there are professonals who line tanks..

Al
Sam, Normally no problem with these. I always use the genuine Simplicity rubber bushing and I replace it any time I have to take a tank off. Is your fuel lline long enough that it is not pulling on the fitting. Also be sure that you don't have a leak in the tank seam. Good luck, Al