Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JCS

Rear Lift

JCS
Is the rear lift off a B -Series the same as the 700/900 Series except one had a rod and one has a cable? If I buy a cable can I put the rear lift from a B-110 /B-112 on an 900 Series?

Al
Yes, you can use the rear lift with a cable but you must add a pulley (about 1-1/2" dia., buy it with the cable) just above the lift lever cross shaft (there is place for this cable pulley in the framework, left side just behind and above the cross shaft). The cable routes over the top of this pulley and down to the lever on the cross shaft, similar to the mower deck on the 900. It works so when you pull back on the lever, it raises the rear attachment. I also think that the cable will get hung up if you try to direct connect the cable to the cross shaft. Good Luck! MS

JCS
Your dealer probably wants $200 because that's the price. Don't you think it's worth it? I am constantly shocked at the price of certain replacement parts. Last month I paid $268.00 for a simple casting I could hold in my hand (not Simplicity). I could have made the item myself for pennies in material but many hours of labor. To understand why we live in a through away society, you must understand mass production and obsolescence. Mass Production: If a company makes 1,000 widgets the production cost may be $1 each. To make one widget the production cost may be $1,000. Obsolescence: Once the company no longer uses the widget in production, the company can either scrap the left over widgets, or stock them as a replacement part. To stock them, the company must maintain a warehouse, shelving, and pay insurance, utilities and taxes, and hire people to stock, inventory, ship, etc., etc., etc. It gets expensive fast. If we could find 10,000 Simplicity owners who wanted a rear lift, we could probably make and sell them for $20 each at a very nice profit. When do we light up the torch, welder and lathe?

dlcentral
Yes they are in essence the same but to convert the B ser. lift to 700/900 you're gonna need a longer rod as the B rod is too short.And possibly a reducer bushing for the rear assy.The cable lifts In my opinion aren't as good as the old rod lifts because with the cable lift no down pressure can be exerted.I'm not sure if the rod can be used if a hydro or shuttle trans is used because of clearance probs.All the more reason to buy GOOD USED parts if avail.in this instance. They are usually only a fraction of new in costs!