Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Removing Carbon

KenW

That is still the best method, we have never been impressed by any of the aerosols you spray into the intake. Bill

the only thing is when you scrape it off you shouldn't use a wire brush. YOu should use a peice of plastic that won't leave grooves.

One thing to make sure is that both valves are closed so that the larger peices don't fall down and get between the valves and their seats. You if you have one can use some compressed air like an air compressor and before opening the valves using low air pressure blow the particals out of the piston area. What I do next is take some WD-40 and spray the combustion area's and then take a small brass brush and finish cleaning all area's up and it will make it like new again. Wipe it all out then check your valves for any carbon on either them or their seats and clean them off also. You don't want any debris dropping down into the intake or exhaust valve if possible. Don't forget to check the head gasget while your at it. Well I have rattled on long enough and probably repeated what's already been said. Take care, >>->happyjack<-<<

When I changed the plug on my 7.25 mod 19 for its winter service it looks like I have carbon buildup. I just got the tractor a few months ago so I do not know if it has ever been cleaned of carbon. What is the best way to remove the carbon? It is my understanding carbon build up results in power loss. Back in the day I used to just pull the head and scrape it off but I am not so sure that is the best method. Thanks Ken W Thanks Ken Williams