Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ToddS

36" wide single belt Simplicity Snowthrower

Kent
Incase I timed out-happyjack@yahoo.com Todd, I will try to aswer this the best I can but others hopefully can correct me if I am in error. In answer to your first question is if the belt is to long you can adjust the large pulley on the blower shaft to compensate for this. To do so loosen the belt cover or guard and slide this along with the pulley to the left facing frontward. But make sure that the pulley guard is tipped upward as far as it can go untill it touches the bottom of the blower housing or the belt will rub againest it and cause the belt to not only get hot but it will not run as true as it should when done. The answer to your second question is the idler pins don't always run perpendicurlar from my experience because over time they do get bent along with the idler brackets. I can tell you that I have tried to run mine perpendicular but I found that I had to bend them some what to get the belt to run true along with the brackets also. The point being is the pins can be bent correctly but if the brackets are bent it does not matter as with the brackets bent it throws everything off just like the pins beinng bent. I have had to just put the belt on and adjust it accordingly and then check for belt run out and in some cases straighten the brackets and pins to get the belt to run true while running the blower at a interment speed to watch for any signs of trouble. Also check for any excess belt heat while it is running and if so check for anything rubbing againest it. The crankshaft pulley should be mounted so the hub is facing forward and it is to be flush with the end of the crankshaft. "Please use extreme caution while doing any blower running and make sure that you do not put your hands anywhere near the pullies ect. while engine is running". I am not stating that you or anyone would "but" ya just never know just use caution. Best of luck >>->happyjack<-<<

Kent
As happyjack said, you can tell alignment by just looking at the belt position after everything is in place i.e. is the belt riding in the center of the pulleys or is it trying to get off the pulleys to one side or the other. MS

ToddS
I've acquired a Simplicity 36" wide snowthrower (single belt drive) that I would like to mount on my 2110 Landlord. It's missing a few handles but I'm sure I'll be able to fabricate them with no problem. I've cruised this site to try to identify the model number of it (it's missing the ID plate...at least I can't find it.) and from what I have come up with it is very similar to a model 345 which by the belt reference page takes part number 106689. After comparing my thrower to the two single belt drive Allis-Chalmers models that Kent had posted on his site, I see that mine is like the 2025082 (It has the two pulley cover clips.) The parts list shows that model (2025082)takes belt part number 106769. This leads me to believe that my thrower is not a model 345 but rather a model 519 or 563 since they both take the 106769 belt. I see that the belt part number 106689 is 55.5" long and that 106769 is 56.1" long....not a big difference. My first question is whether or not there is enough adjustment on the idler pulley to run either belt as they are only off by 0.6"? My second question stems from reading all of the problems people have had with their snowthrower belts getting chewed up, rolling over, jumping off, etc. I need to replace the belt and don't want to risk damaging a new one. I read in messages 2645 and 2744 someone refer to bent idler mounting pins causing problems. I can't tell by any of the parts breakdowns if they are supposed to be perpendicular the bracket on which they are welded on. The ones on my thrower are not perpendicular. Does anyone know if they are supposed to be perpendicular? I would appreciate any information. I have pictures of the concerned region if anyone needs them to help decipher my wordy description. Thanks in advance, Todd Sweeney

Sandy_Lake_Imp
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm sure I'll get it adjusted properly. Hopefully it will be without a sacrificial belt offering. Thanks, Todd