Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7119 hydrostatic

I just bought a 7119 hydro and was going to drain the
hydrostatic transmission then refill and add a new filter.
I talked to my simplicity dealer and he advised me not to
do this because air pockets get into the system and takes
a long time to work out and the tranny gets noisy. he said to
take the new filter fill with fluid then take off the old clean the
area with a cloth and put the new filter on, then top off the fluid level.

does this make sense?

Tom

Tom, What kind of "dealer" told you that! That's nonsense!! Drain trans and remove oil filt. As your looking at the trans from behind, just above left axle you'll see a small pipe elbow with a bleeder valve on top. Remove bleeder-it's a 7/16" nut looking thing. Refill trans from the tube you see in the rear of the trans.Prob. need a small funnel,replace oil filt,Fill tube right up to the top,put bleeder valve back in and cap on fill plug, run trac.around,check fluid level,should be 1/2 way up tube,check for leaks and your in business!Ford type F auto trans. fluid is what I use,although you can use the Sim. hydro fluid of course.The reason you would get any noise is because there's air trapped in sys.By removing and reinstalling bleeder you get rid of trapped air. Good Luck! dlc