Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Pulls

Jake, I am a tractor puller. The "best" pulling tractor is any of the 3100 to Sovereign tractors or the B series, 700, or 900 AC tractors with the cast iron transaxle. The other sizes (including the Sunstar and AC 1900 series will not "cut" it). You want a 3 or 4 speed transaxle. This can come from any of the above models and bolted on to any other. In other words you can take a 1969 3-speed transaxle and bolt it on a 2000 Sovereign and go pulling. These tractors are very competitive in the Stock and Stock Altered classes, but the tube axle is good for about 45 hp, so any classes above Mod Stock are too much horsepower. Those are all Cub Cadets (with the disk clutch). The only JD that work are the old late 60s model 110 or 112. All JD pullers are Cubs underneath. If I knew how to attach a picture I would show you a picture of a Simplicity 7790 diesel that was points winner with two different pulling groups. And a AC B212 that was points winner the year before. This pretty good considering that at any pull you have 2 or 3 Sim/AC and 20 Cub Cadets. I will watch this thread and add more information if wanted. Mike

Mike, I have a 707 and a 717. How do you think these would work. It would be great if I could (new to it, right out of the box so to speak) beat the 110 or what ever it is down the road this spring. I've read enough on the net to know the disk clutch Cubs are the enemy but I just gotta beat the jd (lower casen on purpose)down the street... Thanks Jake PS: I sold a 3100 for scrap.. :-( :-) I'll find another one. Tom, I want all the help I can get. Its a personal thing, but I really believe Simp's are the best.....

We are not pullers, but have a friend here in southwestern Michigan who is. He and his son have pulled in the Nationals severals years running now, and use the old Simplicity models from the mid- to late-60s. They have taken first at least once in one of the classes. It's my impression they are very good pullers so I would confirm what Mike is saying (in my ignorance). I can put you in touch with our friend in Michigan if you'd like. There is nothing like talking to people who have been there/done that for the best information. Good luck! Tom

Everyone. My recomendation is to use the 3300 or newer chassis (700 in AC) as this will accept either the Briggs or Kohler. If you can find one I recommend the K341 (16hp) Kohler for pulling (most pullers use this engine). Many garden tractor pulling clubs list with NGTPA. Again if I knew how to attach a URL link (I have tried everything and can't get it to work) I can supply much more information if people want it. Mike

Jake,Possibly,I can add a little to this pulling discussion. My grandsons and I pull our working tractors(B110 & B112)in stock classes once in a while.I found that setup is more important than hp in these classes.The first time we hooked we barely moved the sled,two years later won with a full pull.Same tractor,track and sled.Only changes were,hitch raised to max.allowed,more aggresive turf tires, and weight in the right place.This may seem redundant to the serious pullers,but was a learning experience for us rookies.The best way to learn is get out and do it.Check out the winners and try to set up your tractor as they do. Build to the limits of the rule book for the class you want to pull in,and you will soon be competitive. I agree with Mike that the cast iron t/a models are best.There are several "B"mod AC tractors that have been pulling in this area for years and they beat jd's And Cubs sometimes.Good Luck Jim

I want to know why anyone would recommend a Kohler engine? They always knock and smoke and run like scrap metal. I am a puller and only use Briggs, from small clases to 1500#classes. We pull with a fleet of Simplicity tractors and they all seem to work good. In this area, these are mostly used for pulling on concrete, commonly pulling about 450%.