Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Counter Rotating Tiller

MPH
Knowing now there are no chain tighteners inside these tiller, and the tines would be easy to swap sides, anybody with a good thought on how to reverse the power to the tiller to make a counter rotating tiller?

Roy
Till in reverse????? Seriously, what if you put a longer belt on that was twisted 180 degrees? Belt friction at the "X" where the belt crosses over itself might be a problem. Maybe rig a couple of small rollers to keep the belt separated at the "X". Might also need pulleys with a deeper "V" to keep the belt from jumping off the pulleys. Just a quick idea.

John_RI
I'm wondering too Marty, why reverse the rotation? I would think that you'd build up so much material in front of the tiller that you'd come to a stop. Roy's suggestion sounds like it would work. John

MPH
Though I've never used one been told by people who have they work better for tearing up sod and also tangle less in tall growth. If I have time I may try just a twist in the belt.

John_RI
I'm not sure but counter rotating might mean that the half of the tines of the tiller rotate in one direction and the rest in the other. I would think that every other tine rotates in the opposite direction. I'm not sure about this so perhaps someone that knows could answer the question. John

Kent
quote:
Originally posted by John_RI
I'm not sure but counter rotating might mean that the half of the tines of the tiller rotate in one direction and the rest in the other. I would think that every other tine rotates in the opposite direction. I'm not sure about this so perhaps someone that knows could answer the question. John
Counter-rotating means that the tines are turning opposite of the direction of travel...

DaveL
As I understood someone's explanation a while ago---the benefit is that in tough hard soil the tiller does not have the the tendency to "walk" or push the tractor and the till is smoother and almost pulverized. Is best for tilling up lawns. Was toyong with the idea a few years ago of modifying the the PTO in some way to change direction. Had all of that simple physics stuff in school but have long forgotten it. Simply twisting the belt seems the best way to start. But it would be worth it to me now to find a way as one of this summer's projects is to re-do the front yard-- so If it works Marty let us know please?

Les
Reversing the belt would work, there is nothing inside the gear box to prevent counter rotation. Hard for me to imagine enough room in the Simplicity setup to allow for that kind of belt apparatus though. The tines are designed (i.e. sharpened, beveled) to cut one way, you would have to take switch sides with the tines also.

MPH
Yes, the tine gangs would need to be moved from right to left side, then they will work properly. No sure if any of the counter rotating tillers use the Bolo tine design like these Simplicity's do. Think a twist in the belt will work for a try but I can't think of how one could use the clutch on the B series tiller. With the clone clutch it be easier.

Roy
Marty, Twist the belt between the drive pulley on the tractor hitch frame and the tiller. B series tiller drive pulleys and clutch will work as normal. Have never tried it but my fear is either heat friction where the belt crosses on itself or the belt jumping off a pulley due to the slight misalignment. Will take a substantially longer belt. Like someone above said, let us know how it works if you try it.