Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity314

23D won't start now UPDATE

Simplicity314
Latest update: Man alive this thing (23D) is trying my patience. Retapped the carb mounting hole that was stripped and snugged it up. Now it won't start at all. Have spark, and it fired when I poured gas in the cylinder, then just died. At least when I had the air leak it would run. Moved the choke back and forth slowly while cranking--nothin'. Took the air filter off, nothing, cut off air almost completely with my hand over the air throat--nothin.' Worked the main jet back and forth--nothing. Even loosened up the manifold to carb bolts to create the gap I had when it ran great, which was yesterday. I didn't get to the parts store so I didn't change the gasket, but even if the old one was bad I think I'd at least get some sputtering and popping. Any suggestions? Any at all?

DMedal
just to check facts, you say the starter turns but the engine won't turn over. When you run the starter, the engine turns over but doesn't start? This isn't a matter of the starter turning but not able to rotate the engine? -Don

Simplicity314
No, the starter spins the motor, but it won't turn over, meaning engine power won't "turn over" from starter-powered to coil and combustion, or self powered. That's what "turn over" means, not to be confused with the engine just turning under the power of the starter. Elon: I have spark with the plug out and grounded on the engine (dumb I know with these leaky things but I don't have a plug tester). Plug did not smell of strong gas.

Morris
I have a friend's Bolens/MTD with a 46" deck and 22 hp twin Briggs. She left it sitting most of the year and wouldn't start, so she asked me to work on it. I put in new battery, checked connections and put in fresh gas. Motor would not fire. Sprayed starting fluid down carb, and it fired up and died. I did this about 15 times, and on the last time (obviously) it finally ran on it's own. I suspected some gunk from the old gas had clogged carb, but with repeated firing with the fluid perhaps whatever was gumming up the works passed on through, or some of the starting fluid loosened it up. Will yours fire with starting fluid?

UCD
Jim To most mechanics the term won't turn over means the stater will not turn the engine. The term most used for a no start/run condition is it will not fire. Or It will turn over but it will not fire/start/run. when you removed the tin and repositioned it you didn't short out a wire did you? One of the most frequent causes of a no start condition after removing and replacing the shrouds.

Simplicity314
Welp, I did what Elon suggested and poured a shot of gas in the cylinder. Fired right up. Let it run for about 10 mintes, shut her down , waited and hit the starter. It fired up and ran again. I will try again after it's cold and see what happens. Thanks everyone.

ehertzfeld
Well if it work, I would say that there is a gasket in the intake that is leaking. Glad you go it to run. I have a 12 hp that was like that. If it ran out of gas, it wouldn't fire till I splashed gas down the air cleaner. One it started, she would be OK until the next time it ran out of gas.

Brian313
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Glade you got it running. The simple things and Murphy can drive you up the wall.
Everyone can take a sigh of relief, murphy is here with me and by the last 2 weeks he's settled in for a while. Sorry to whoever gets him next but he's gotta goB)