Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil leak is back

BroadmoorMan

Hello everybody. The oil leak has come back. Almost everytime I move it or start it, let it sit, and then the next day theres a oil streak. This is the third time it has done this and I am begining to worry. Is the leak because of a gasket? Would a stop leak engine oil fix it? Thanks for any help.

Just went back to your original post and looked at the photos again. The oil appears to be coming from under the engine, rather than along the outside. First thought was a leaking crankshaft seal, but that would also leak onto your engine pulley. A blown sump gasket or loose sump bolts would be leaking along the outside of the sump. I believe this engine has one, maybe two sump bolts that are recessed into the sump while all the others are around the outside of the sump. Based on that (unless it is also leaking onto the engine pulley), I would assume a recessed bolt has come loose. That would allow the oil to follow the bolt threads and leak from underneath without leaking onto the pulley.

No Kris I have not replaced the oil pan gasket. Should I? Thats some good information Pat. The bolt nearest to the leak is pretty wet with oil. Thats the only part that is wet. One question though, what is the sump gasket and sump bolts? I've never heard that work before.

Tim, If there's a leak coming from the oil pan, an oil gasket replacement is an absolute must in order to fix the problem. But if it's coming from somewhere else, for instance, the sump pump gasket Pat mentioned above, that would have to be replaced. I wouldn't use sealing oil. I don't think it's even good for the engine. It only temporarily fixes the problem anyway. But, if you wanted to try and see if you could save a little money, you can try tightening the bolts holding the oil pan in place, in a criscross pattern. Make sure it's torqued properly as per manufacters' instructions. With some luck, it'll stop the leak for now or at least slow it down a little bit. I'm sure others will chime in with more information. Good luck!

Sorry, Tim. The oil pan and oil sump are the same thing. Should have made that clear. I used to call it the oil pan (still do, occasionally), but after being "corrected" by several other mechanics I occasionally work with, I've gotten into the habit of referring to it as the sump. It's still an oil pan to me, but I believe "sump" is actually the correct term.

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll have to take a look at the bolts and the gasket soon.