Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck help

builder386

I have replaced all the bearings in my mower deck. I read this in the manual: Seal between the flanges with gasket eliminator. Are they talking about RTV Silicone? I assume this is just to keep dirt out of the arbor. Also, when I assemble the housings for the center arbor, the bearings do not seat completely to the end of the housing. The arbor has about 1/8" end play. That is not the case with the 2 outer housings. Does this mean I need new housings or a complete arbor assembly? Thanks

Ray is correct. RTV is fine. I think the new style arbors normally have some end play. You might try making a shim(s) (like a washer) to take up the 1/8" space but be careful to make sure so all the blades are level. Might take a small shim on each end or might take a thicker amount of shims on only one end.

Thanks Ray and Roy. Had thought about taking the arbors out of one of the outside ones to see if it was the arbor or the housing that was causing the slack. The washer sounds like the thing to do, though. I'll install the two end ones and put a strightedge across them to make sure I shim the correct place. Thanks again.