Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plastic Fuel Tank repair

DDP021

I have a Allis-Chalmers 400 series tractor with a plastic fuel tank that has a hair crack in it. I've tried numerous glues, even those claiming they were for fuel tanks, but nothing works. Eventually the gas itself from the tank softens the glue. Anyone know of anything that will repair a plastic fuel tank? Thanks!

Go to a Napa or other good parts store and buy a Gas Tank Repair Kit for Plastic Tanks. These are 2 part epoxy kits that are made specifically for gas and plastic tanks. They cost between $8.00 and $15.00. These work, I have used hundreds of them both the metal and plastic tank kits.

i had same problem on my 400 series also tried everthing from about every supplier finally fabricated steel tank same shape as original after finishing tank used gas tank sealer to seal metal and any small leaks found this at local tractor dealer worked good no leaks know only problem i had was fill neck cut old neck out of old tank made round flange and screwed flange to steel tank hope this will help

about 4 years ago i used a tank sealer that goes inside the tank like paint. it came from a buddy who got it to use in his wife's motorcycle. there was a bit of prep work involved so he decided not to bother and passed it on to me. regretably, i dont know the name of it, only that he got it at the bike shop. i followed directions(honest!) and it has worked great. there were a couple of pinholes that i didn't notice until the sealer appeared on the outside of the tank. once it was dry it was watertight the tank is starting to rust externally because i dont put the hood on the tractor anymore(lost the knurled nuts the last time i used the tractor with the hood on) but it doesnt leak gas! i think the kit to seal the tank cost around $30 and could do 2 or 3 motorcycle tanks regarding the plastic tanks' i dont know if it will work on those or not. there are places that do plastic welding. a look in the phone book or a call to a plastic supplier might lead to a shop that can fix the tank

Ketchamized
Larry, Kreem is mostly for metal tanks. I have used the stuff for rusted motorcycle, scooter, and moped tanks when I was into building them years ago. It works great the first 2 years then it'll make your problem MUCH WORSE and flake off. I would strongly advise against using the stuff. The same goes for POR-15. POR-15, in my personal opinion is a little better. But again, I think they're just for metal tanks, but I might be wrong about that. Dave, I would recommend that you try Maynard's (UCD) idea. He's pretty knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to things like that. But personally, I would utilize the use of eBay and just replace the tank. The amount of work and materials and the headache costs MUCH MORE than it would be for a good condition used tank. Why bother fixing, you know?

tracktor312
I agree I would change the tank if you read his post he said he tried the tank repair glue if that didnt help it must be time.