Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cylinder o rings. "fixed" I think!

ehertzfeld

I have a leaky cylinder, that I took apart to get new o rings for. I found Kirks post with all the measurements, but was wondering if regular o rings will work, or if they are special o rings made just for hydraulics. Any idea? I have a kit that has a bunch of different sizes, but don't know if they will fit or even work. Well I tried it after work, and it is still leaking. It actually looks like the end caps are moving out as the fluid retracts. That is were it is leaking from, well just the end cat t the BGB. I have the two bars tight but they still move just a bit. The o rings I put in were bigger in diameter, so they went on hard. They seem to have stayed, so I don't know what happening. It kinda seems like the hole in the bars are ob longed. Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure the only "special" o-rings are for use with fuel, like fuel injector o-rings, but do wait for another response or two.

Elon I've overhauled a couple of these cylinders with regular O-rings, unfortunately neither were mine and I've never had any feed back as to how they worked or wether there were any leaks. The last one that I did was my own that I was able to find an NOS piston O-ring for. The rod O-ring is interesting in that it has a wiper (or what appears to be a teflon sleeve) as part of the O-ring. So far I've been using a standard O-ring with little problem (but haven't put many hours on it). The end cap O-rings are very small in diameter and my o-ring kit did not have that size in it and had to buy those separately. Good luck!

Well I'll fine out tomarow! I found some that I think will work. The two end rings I used were smaller, but a tad fatter. It took a lot to get them on and a lot to get the caps on. They seemed to stay in the groves, as it hold pressure with my finger blocking the fitting hole. I'll hook up the lines and test it before I re install the cylinder.

I reuilt one 3 years ago with standard o-rings that I got from a hydraulic shop. i haven`t had a problem yet

Elon, There are special orings for hydraulic applications, They should be 90 durometer , The ones you get over the counter are usualy 70 durometer ,There to soft, Stop at Milton Cat .They'll have what you need

Elon if those o-rings were not the right size there's a good chance that they were damaged by forcing the ends onto the cylinder. Your best bet is to replace the end cap o-rings with new ones of the same size as the originals. I usually use assembly lube (for automatic transmissions) on most o-rings prior to assembly to help everything go together easily without tearing an o-ring. I'm not sure what to tell you on the movement of the end caps expept to make sure your nuts are properly tightened.

Well I'm not sure, but I think it's better. I didn't tighten up the eye nut at the BGB mount. I guess it was coming out of there and running to the seam. It's all back together and in the tractor. I worked it back and forth a few times, and it looks good. I won't know till I get somthing heavy to lift. Hopefully, it wont leak. Thanks for the info!:D