Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wheel Cleaning

Roy

Working on a set of rear wheels for the B-1. Using a combination of electrolytic rust removal, pressure washer, and sandpaper/wire brushes to clean polish them prior to painting. Pictures show the fixture I rigged up by using a rear axle and the lathe. Wheel & axle end view:

Front view of lathe, wheel, & axle:

Sure wish I had a sand blaster. :(

Think your getting way to spoiled with that Lathe Roy. Did you torch them before you started? Did that on the power max front rims, sure made cleaning them up a LOT easier then just wire wheeling them with the 4 in grinder.

My wheels cleaned up really well with electrolysis and then a little soft paint removal with the pocket knife.

I used my acetylene torch to flash burn the rust off. Rust particles burn very readily when hit with the torch. You really don't have to get the wheel very hot, because of the way the rust burns off. This is much easier than any other way I have tried. I just hit them lightly with sandpaper to smooth up the surface after rust removal, then primed and painted them. I did this on those 12 inch wide wheels that I put on my 713S. I have not had any recurring rust, yet.

I used electrolytic rust removal to eliminate the rust. Note the electrolytic process removed a lot of paint that didn't have rust beneath it. Wheels had been filled with calcium chloride and had a fair amount of rust but not devastating. Used the pressure washer to remove the loose paint and clean the wheels. Then used sandpaper, scraper, and steel wool for final clean up. Lathe is great for sanding/polishing while a wheel is turning. The tough part is cleaning the recesses and corners that aren't easily reached. Sandblaster would be great to have. After clean up I painted/coated the wheels with Ospho phosphoric acid. Am now in the process of applying chrome paint. Will post pictures when finished painting. Torch may be easier. Did minor residual paint removal with a Mapp gas torch. Will have to did out the acetylene torch and try it next time.

Electrolysis is nice, if you are laid back and not in a hurry. Most of the time I just like to get things done quickly, so I can move on to the next problem. That is why I like using the torch. It is quick and easy. It is also nice to finish early sometimes and take a nap. Roy tells me that retired people do that, so I guess I better start practicing.

Update to show final product. Not in love with the tires (6 x 12 JC Penny M & S) but the price was right (free). Local tire shop was good to me. $5.38 out the door mounted with new valve stems and leak checks. They previously demounted the tires for me at "no charge". And, their tire machine did not scratch up my new paint. ^ Wheels look good considering their initial condition. :) LH Side:

RH Side:

Hey Roy, the rims look good. You could place a flat piece of steel between the stirrups on the grader blade and your foot rests hmmmm, they would look real nice on that foot dragger. JH

Roy, I always liked that tread pattern. I have one like that in the garage, but don't have a mate for it. I am not sure of the brand. It looks like a snow tire tread made by Firestone back when I was a kid. I'll bet that grader blade works great on that driveway.:D

Your rims look great Roy. What brand of chrome paint did you use? They look shinnier then mine on the 3314 turned out. Like the tires better then turfs, only way you could beat the price would getting paid to take them. I'll bet that grader blade works great on that driveway' Rod, maybe he should mount a push broom on it:O

JH, now why would I want to ruin a perfectly good FDT by putting running boards on it???????? :O:O "I'll bet that grader blade works great on that driveway." Sure does Rod. Notice how smooth the driveway is. :D Thanks Matt. :) Marty, is the same RustOleum Metallic Chrome paint I used on the front rims. Thing I gave you the full description and part number in my earlier post when I did the front wheels. Suspect you are getting "CRS" due to aging. ;)

Hey Rod, I have a spare "snow tire" It is a narrow tire off my MW G/Mark. I think it is made by firestone. Maybe we could trade snow tire for carb plug? let me know. JH

Nice job, Roy. I think I'd farm that job out, if the price wasn't too dear. Wonder what a sandblast shop would charge to do a couple wheels. Anybody ever priced the job? Tacey