Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Using Snow Hawg tires on the front!

arnoldir

Jack here, If anyone is looking for tires to replace there stock front ones on your tractor you might concider the tires that are used on the newer self-propelled snow blowers. If you are tired of your tractor sliding while trying to turn in either mud-snow-wet grass ect. then I highly suggest a pair of them. They don't tear up your lawn but they will improve steering performance along with helping your tractor turn better even in sand or loose soil. Having problems with your tires not getting enough grip while plowing then I also suggest a pair of Snow Hawg tires. They will make your tractor turn a little harder while going slow "but" not all that much concidering the gains in all the area's that I have mentioned. They come in different sizes and I put a pair about 4 years ago on the front of my 1964 Landlord and it became a different tractor at once compared to the stock tires as listed above along with other area's. No I am not a stock holder or salesman for the company but if they made them for the back I would probably have them there also. I do run ag-or v-tread tires on the rear along with the Snow Hawgs in the front and it really gives the tractor a no non-sense look like go eat hum up bouy meaning other tractors just became food. :) I bought mine at my Simplicity dealer but I know they are cheaper else where such as a discount tire company but they do have to be ordered. Just passing some info along to anyone thinking about changing like a was a few years back. Take care, >>->happyjack<-<< P.S This message will self distruct in 24 hours or less depending on my mood.

Sounds like a good idea. Do you have any trouble backing up with the bar tread tires. Mine seem to spin quite a lot in reverse. Maybe it's the self cleaning tread design in one direction.

Hi Rich, When I first put the bar-tread tires on I was very disapointed in the performance of them. This is going to sound crude but I used to do some sand drag racing at Michigan's Siver Lake sand dunes and I ran paddle tires which are a form of v-tread tires. To get the best traction we would cut or sharpen the v-groves and cut them so that the bars were narrower on the tires using a router or a special tool that heats the rubber and then you are able to cut it at the same time. So with my tires for my tractor I did the same thing basically and sharpened the tread and also added some groves down thru each bar of the v-and that did away with just the bar or v shape of the tread being smooth by adding more cuts for traction. It made all the difference in the world and I would rate the tires about 80% better then they first were. Now I don't have any trouble in snow-mud-or just plan loose dirt but they will tear up any and I mean any type of soil. I have found that I don't need to run my wheel weight any more in the summer months. But I just can't get bar pushing snow without the chains but I sure don't need them with any type of dirt plowing whether wet or dry but they will dig a hole if I am not carefull but not like at first as the tread cleans itself alot better. I bet the tractor pullers can tell you some really great tips as they use them all the time. Thanks and take care, >>->happyjack<-<<