Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What I have been tinkering with

tanman722001

This is a 1966 Ford F350 that I got dirt cheap.It has the orginal 352 V8 in it with only 88,000 miles on it and a granny 4 speed.The motor run great.I have does alot to it and still need to do more to it.This is going to be my tractor hauler when im done with it.What do you guys think??? This what it looked like when I got it

This what it looked like when I got most of the interior done

This is after I put new tail lights in and got it painted

This with a new seat cover and a new floor mat in it I will need to get a new pic of what it looks like know.

Needs a knob on the shifter too;) for those speed shifts.:D Looks like most Fords I see. Wireing hanging out from under the dash:OB)}:)&:) Seriously, it looks good. I always did like the sidestep into the cab models like that.dOddOd

When I hauled can milk. Cheese Factory had a 1952 Ford with a small stake rack about the size of yours. Was a 3/4 ton with 239 flathead v-8 and 3 speed on the floor. Used it during snow storms. Boss showed me how to drive it. You put your foot to the floor and flew thru or over snowbanks. Ordinarily we were to creep in driveways, never drive on grass. But let the snow fly and so did that little Ford.

Looks like a good tractor hauler, I had a granny low 4 speed in my 70 F-250, those were some tough old trucks. Keep us informed of your progress, looking good so far.

Yup, needs an 8 ball shift knob. I drilled one out for a 1975 Toyota Landcruiser my friends and I used to beat on. Did you know that the numbers go clear thru the ball?? I took a look in the hole after drilling and could still read the number 8 in the bottom. Pretty cool, I thought.

Done a little work on it today.It need doughnut gaskets.So I started pulling the pipes.First stud snapped second one the nut came off.I said well I need to pull the Manifold so I can drill it out.Stated pulling the bolts.Three of the top four snaped to.Can it get any worse.So I started on the other side and the two nut that holds the pipe on came right off.I said to myself that god.One sid eis bad enough.So ran back to the parts house and got the parts I needs.Came back and started working on the Manifold first.Got it drilled out and retapped.And put in the new studs.Ok three more to drill out.Started drilling them out and got them all drilled out.Thne put every thing back together.Sounds alot better.Still has a small leak.Will worry about that later.The truck has been sitting for a long time and the old doughnut gasket was all gone.So you can imagine how load it was. Know I remember the one thing I dont like about the Ford FE motors.The tope 4 bolts on the Manifolds.They always break off..Just I would share my day with you guys

Was there enough room to get drill in? A truck maybe has enough room. A car does not !!!! I've pulled several motors to repair someone elses attempt to do it in car.

I had an old 63 GMC half ton with the short step side bed and a 60 degree V6 engine with the granny 4 speed. Bought it in 81 with only 50k on it for $1000. Drove it for 3 years and loved it. Sold it for $1400 without doing anything to it. Wish I still had it. You will have a lot of fun with your old Ford. People just looked at my old truck and when I told them it was a 63 they would smile and shake their heads. Dan aka IronPony

No,I found it near me it was sitting in a field.So I asked the old farmer if he would sell it.he said yea and got it for $500.And he has a rollback so I got him to deliever it for $30.

quote:
Originally posted by tanman722001
Done a little work on it today.It need doughnut gaskets.So I started pulling the pipes.First stud snapped second one the nut came off.I said well I need to pull the Manifold so I can drill it out.Stated pulling the bolts.Three of the top four snaped to.Can it get any worse.So I started on the other side and the two nut that holds the pipe on came right off.I said to myself that god.One sid eis bad enough.So ran back to the parts house and got the parts I needs.Came back and started working on the Manifold first.Got it drilled out and retapped.And put in the new studs.Ok three more to drill out.Started drilling them out and got them all drilled out.Thne put every thing back together.Sounds alot better.Still has a small leak.Will worry about that later.The truck has been sitting for a long time and the old doughnut gasket was all gone.So you can imagine how load it was. Know I remember the one thing I dont like about the Ford FE motors.The tope 4 bolts on the Manifolds.They always break off..Just I would share my day with you guys
I learned on the FE's (My favorite Ford engine series) exhaust manifold the top 4 bolts are the ones that allways snap-the threads are exposed on the back side. I learned to take these bolts off or at least break them loose hot by running engine a while and leave engine idling while you turn bolts. Also use a lot of penetrating oil-will be a smoking mess. Needless to say wear leather gloves and do what you need to prevent burns. I have yet to break another top manifold bolt since an older mechanic showed me this method. BTW-Nice truck, would not mind finding another 67-72 1 ton flat that was not all eaten up with rust. Brent