Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Muffler Glowing Red

Imacarguytoo

The mower has been running pretty crappy most the day. I ran it out of gas yesterday and refilled the tank. Ran good this morning till about halfway thru the yard it started sputtering. Then it would come out of it and go back into it. Ive been messing with it trying to figure it out. I went out tonite and started it tonite and ran it. I ran ok till i put a load on it with the deck. I saw a few sparks come out of the muffler. I looked down and it was Bright cherry red. Whats the deal? 18 Horse twincylinder Briggs. Wouldnt that mean that the motor is running to lean? But no matter how i adjust the screw on the downdraft carb it still runs like crap.

Yes a glowing muffler means lean. Adjusting screw in and out without change screams clogged carburator to me. If it ran fine before running it out of fuel, it posibly sucked in something that had been floating about. That's my experience,hope you get it fixed !

If you can't fix it by adjustments alone, a carb kit is probably the way to go. This happened to me 2 years ago. I bought a carb kit, made the right adjustments, and after that it ran perfectly.

Brian, I wouldn't run the tractor until you've got that glowing exhaust issue fixed. It's running too hot. (Too lean) It can cause unwanted damage.