Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Center PTO Help Please, Pictures

Boney

The problem I am having. When I go to engage the center PTO to make the mower blades turn the shaft that comes off the handle hits the tension pulley. I have tried to make several adjustments but cant seem to stop this problem. I also have problems getting the tension pulley to back off enough to let the belt slip so the mower blades will stop turning. Any help would be GREATLY appreciatted, Thnx This picture shows the shaft hitting the tension pulley. The screwdriver is pointing to where they hit.

This is a picture of the complete setup, I have taken off the belt guard to work on it. Why it is green I do not know, maybe to make it easier to find I guess. It was that color when I bought it.

This is a picture of the hand lever for it.

Here is a picture of the PTO shaft in what I believe is the disengaged point.

Here is a picture of the pullies I am using

Have you tried to loosen the set collar and pull the rod back some? Looks just like the one on my blue B-1, believe a 5 inch pulley is correct.

My PTO belt is quite a bit longer than yours. A longer belt would allow the tension pully to move further toward the back of the tractor to engage and probably eliminate the interference. A longer belt should also help your disengagement problem. John

Just my two cents but it looks like you need a longer belt to your deck? That will allow the PTO to move farther back.

These guys are a lot smarter and a lot more experienced than I, but I had the same problem on my B-112 the other day. Just loosened the collar and moved the shaft up a 1/4" and everything was fine. Just my experience.

quote:
Originally posted by John_RI
My PTO belt is quite a bit longer than yours. A longer belt would allow the tension pully to move further toward the back of the tractor to engage and probably eliminate the interference. A longer belt should also help your disengagement problem.
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Salmons
Just my two cents but it looks like you need a longer belt to your deck? That will allow the PTO to move farther back.
I think it's a combination of both of these problems, PLUS your deck is raised too high. Most decks on this style of tractor will contact the belt when raised, but your's seems excessively high. Realistically about the best you can hope for and still have things working right is for the rollers to just clear the ground. About 1" above ground, depending on how you have your cutting hieght set, is about it.

You have the wrong belt on the deck, also the belt should be on the larger of the two drive pulleys on the PTO going to the deck Here's some pics of my PTO's B-1

Early B-10

725 With a sickle bar

quote:
Originally posted by FastPaul
You have the wrong belt on the deck, also the belt should be on the larger of the two drive pulleys on the PTO going to the deck
Good catch that the deck belt was on the wrong pulley, Paul. I totally missed that.

Thank you all for the great info, I should get it working with this new knowledge. Paul you have some sweet looking tractors there, thnx for taking the time to post the pics. Thnx Herm

FastPaul, I thought that I had the right one, what do you have for a lenght if you dont mind so I can check it with mine ? Thnx for all the help

Herm, It appears you have the 32" deck rather than the 42", maybe you got a belt for the 42 as that is much more common. I really don't even know if they use different belts but its possible. Chirs

Herm, I believe you should be using cross drive belt part #2108248SM = 48.1" HA belt.